Newest Member
    joxey
February 16-17th Storm II

stormtracker

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks slightly South compared to 12z

it is.  This post is completely for the northern MD area.  DC south, and probably Baltimore south is totally fine, and tomorrow this could still shift north, but for the people on here north of i70 there was no north trend at all today, models have pretty much held steady or if anything shifted south ever so slightly.  We can hope the normal last second north adjustment happens but there was no guidance evidence of it today.  I was really wanting to see things amp up a lot more today but the flow seems a little suppressive still.

Last 2 runs of the euro have been basically identical less the noise. Trends imply a shave at the n extent. I would be a little surprised if the euro shaves more than .05-.1 from 12z.

It's almost time to let the models go and enjoy the cold smoke. However much falls in your slice of real estate.

People have brought up 1/30/10, 3/2/14, and 3/16/14. I went through and looked at the model runs leading up to onset of those events. 1/30/10 of course was 'gone' but then got reclaimed by us less than 24 hours before onset, with the 0Z runs the night before suggesting Winter Storm Warning totals for DC and south. The Winter Storm Warning got expanded northward during the morning of the event as snow totals started to outpace QPF on the northern edges.

3/2/14-- There was a close-in Euro run that spit out 10"+ south of DC. The northern cut-off was well modeled, and it verified pretty well. The southern areas, including DC immediate metro, under-performed somewhat.

3/16-17/14--- Even the last 12Z runs heading into the event later that evening suggested a south of DC stripe with a very tight gradient up to the PA border. That of course didn't verify. 

Gym, your post is a perfect summarization of where my head is. Models aren't going to show perfect reality. Snow is all but guaranteed for our entire subforum. Low looks pretty nice and leads are short. Time to let the chips fall.

Yup. Maybe one trend is more valid than another on here, but I think for the region-wide type events, it's impossible to nail down exactly what happens at the edges-- both north and south. 

If you're popping in on the heels of the best 2 week stretch of your life...you have to at least post your guess for dca...

+1 bob... what's your DCA call benchmark? keep in mind our guys have been burned a couple times in recent memory

If you're popping in on the heels of the best 2 week stretch of your life...you have to at least post your guess for dca...

Oh man, only took a cursory glance at things, but think the best looks to the south...especially given latest trend for the our last blizzard to exert more of a force as a 50/50....6"? I like RIC in this...maybe 1' there. I think DC, and us up here for that matter, want this to slooow down, get that 50/50 to relent a bit.

Oh man, only took a cursory glance at things, but think the best looks to the south...especially given latest trend for the our last blizzard to exert more of a force as a 50/50....6"? I like RIC in this...maybe 1' there. I think DC, and us up here for that matter, want this to slooow down, get that 50/50 to relent a bit.

Ha! We posted at the same time. Agree, dca 6" is the money line.

Archived