joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Super Snow Sunday

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lull is related to how it develops and I believe is perfectly valid to some degree

It's the NAM. It was showing 3 feet for Jersey not even 3 weeks ago and we all know how that turned out. I think Tip's point is very valid. There is valid reasoning for the eastern low and valid reasoning for the western low. Which one wins out is not as cut and dry as the January Blizzard in my opinion. 

I'm actually wondering if the WAA portion may over-perform late tomorrow afternoon and evening...we have really steep lapse rates during that phase. Almost a semi-windex type look.

That part intrigues me... one of the more enjoyable possibilities the GFS presents is little lull between the WAA snows and the CCB kicked in from the bombing low. The NAM on the other hand really calms things down... the Euro kind of looks like that too.

I imagine some area -- maybe SE NH? -- manages to make the leap without the lull and sees higher totals as a result.

It's the NAM. It was showing 3 feet for Jersey not even 3 weeks ago and we all know how that turned out. I think Tip's point is very valid. There is valid reasoning for the eastern low and valid reasoning for the western low. Which one wins out is not as cut and dry as the January Blizzard in my opinion.

I think there will be a pretty big cake hole with this one as it tries to overcome the dry air at first aloft. I think 4-8 will do it even on the coast

15z NMM is a good example of how some strange intense banding could happen with a rapidly deepening ML center just to our south...see that area over RI which is a bit seperate from the main CCB in E MA later on

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ETAEAST_18z/etaloop.html

Jesus, that is painful to watch for me. 

What is the NAM actually good for?  Is it more reliable for other types of weather or other parts of the country geographically?  It seems like its useless even in the very short term during Winter around here.  

It's geared to convection nowadays.

It hurts it in these storms frequently because it will go nuts with an area of convection out over the open ocean and start feeding back on itself there.

My eye is on that down here.  Models have looked rather robust putting out 3-5".

Yeah I've been noticing it more and more on the soundings how it becomes almost unstable for a brief time. We get TTs in the upper 40s. It wouldn't shock me to see some periods of legit heavy snow in that part of the event...even if only for a fairly short time.

That is an ugly (and weird looking) dryslot on the NAM over SNE around 09z Sunday...it fills back in, but that is bizarre...esp given that it is north of the ML centers.

The NAM's had an ugly dry slot for several runs through western areas, I think.  This time is just widened quite a bit.

Box has had a hot hand,what they forecast is what I expect

Aside from the blizzard out here (a big oops), I agree.

I wonder how much of the limited qpf in SNE may be lost to evaporation as this moves in.

9.1/-11

Yeah I've been noticing it more and more on the soundings how it becomes almost unstable for a brief time. We get TTs in the upper 40s. It wouldn't shock me to see some periods of legit heavy snow in that part of the event...even if only for a fairly short time.

I'm thinking the system is basically split is 2.  We get that initial WAA punch than we await the CCB.  The wildcard being that CCB and where ir sets up.  The GFS would be optimal for all.  This is speaking in general terms for the SNE area,  Up in ME they are golden as they are and have been ground zero for quite some time.

Archived