• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Super Snow Sunday

40/70 Benchmark

Time to ditch tight pants wearing D bags and go with all American Wranglers?

Lol..I definitely don't feel comfortable forecasting like 5-8" of snow with the maps the way they look. But higher end has some confidence shakers too...it's not an easy storm.

My gut still says it will end up better than some of the lower output is showing. It's underneath the deformed divergence and deepening MLL/ULLs where you get big busts in the positive direction...dryslots punching in from the SW is where you get negative busts...we have the former in this setup.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah you need the good inflow which requires the mid levels closing off and intensifying quick. It's going to take a bit more work with a cold atmosphere to get moisture transport wrapped around significantly. The GFS does this, but there is also strong lower level convergence as the low wraps back in. I am out and can't see euro, but my guess is that it does not do the same. On the other hand, it will not take much moisture to throw snow down too.

Lol..I definitely don't feel comfortable forecasting like 5-8" of snow with the maps the way they look. But higher end has some confidence shakers too...it's not an easy storm.

My gut still says it will end up better than some of the lower output is showing. It's underneath the deformed divergence and deepening MLL/ULLs where you get big busts in the positive direction...dryslots punching in from the SW is where you get negative busts...we have the former in this setup.

I agree, but I'll have to take a look to see why it's sort of meh as you guys describe.

Just looking at this setup, we'd be thinking this is a mixed good to great (but not terrific) setup for something big. If this thing overperforms, looking back the surprise won't be that this setup gave us another nice storm, it will be that the models were mainly underdoing it, which won't be that much of a surprise at all...

one thing about this winter is that everything has outperformed guidance mostly, so hopefully this one follows that trend, dynamic system for sure.

That is what I've been thinking about, but this is a tough, tough call. 

Things have trended better, but things have also bumped ne a lot, too....NYC remembers more than we do. :lol:

I guess it comes down to real meteorology knowledge here. Models aren't holding our hands on this one. I think sometimes you have to take a risk. The set-up in this storm is impossible to ignore, (from what I have read).

I was thinking the same thing.  This has all the ingredients and in the right positions to be a really impressive storm.  One model is showing just that.  The others aren't.  What does your MET knowledge tell you when you see the mid levels where they are, with the power that this has?

A tough call for sure.  The anomalous set up may be giving the Non GFS models fits right now?  Could the GFS be seeing this for what it is....a very powerful ULL, that is positioned perfectly for SNE, and develops like it should, and thus it shows the results that it should?  Might be. 

If the GFS holds it's ground at 18z, and doesn't cave at all, that would be impressive.

I'll ask one more time then I'll give up.   Can anyone give me some qpf for areas north of Mass?  Where does .50" line run?  East of NH?  With this new wrench and not being able to see the Euro have no idea what it shows up this way.  THANKS so much in advance.

Maine gets demolished but you don't get much. .5 line is 30 miles west of BOS.

Archived