SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Super Snow Sunday

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

48 hours is tiny. I wouldn't count on it taking the next step between now and sexy-time.

Snuff the storm candle; we mourn.

Keeps it snowing all day Sunday. We'll see....

Euro really nailed that last blizzard so time to hang our hats...

JK it was brutal. We'll see how models like the RGEM move forward with this one.

Weird midlevels and surface looks better but output is quite meh.

The mid levels on Euro have lacked compared to other guidance for a while. Not a good look for building confidence on a Foot in Boston. Works against us 2 fold. Weaker mid levels weaker inflow and that forcing isn't tight to our ML low it's pushed NW into Maine, and the lack of bombing Mid levels keeps the SLP further east and not the close tuck. Disappointing run. Hope Euro changes ML tune tonight and other guidance that is robust stays that way. Def not hanging hat on Euro at this point thou.

Damn dual-low structure again with inverted trough in wake of western-most low... GGEM / RGEM / Euro all have this

Too much momentum with this trough, not enough downstream ridging, not enough latitude for surface low to get its act together, baroclinicity too far east... several flies in the oinment. GFS will either have it's coup of the season or will live up to its stereotype.

Blah - Euro not great. Keeps CCB farther east. 

Will be a historic storm at mid-levels though!

Development is being hindered IMO by the fact that the cold dry air has pushed towards Bermuda.   That'll slightly hinder consolidated development at the surface with the best moisture so far east initially,  and that in turn doesn't provide positive feedback for more rapid intensification and organization aloft. 

The results are these strung out type solutions which are perfectly valid.    MEH

for the queens...half inch of QPF from about ORH eastward including most of RI. 0.75" from the outer Cape to Cape Ann/PSM area.

That is relatively dissapointing output, and it's getting to the point where QPF Queens begin to morph into reality royalty because we don't shovel at H5. 

Damn dual-low structure again with inverted trough in wake of western-most low... GGEM / RGEM / Euro all have this

Too much momentum with this trough, not enough downstream ridging, not enough latitude for surface low to get its act together, baroclinicity too far east... several flies in the oinment. GFS will either have it's coup of the season or will live up to its stereotype.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=41048

NW screaming winds, dry air.  Biggest reason this isn't feeding back into the tighter mid level monster from earlier runs.

Will be a historic storm at mid-levels though!

Development is being hindered IMO by the fact that the cold dry air has pushed towards Bermuda.   That'll slightly hinder consolidated development at the surface with the best moisture so far east initially,  and that in turn doesn't provide positive feedback for more rapid intensification and organization aloft. 

The results are these strung out type solutions which are perfectly valid.    MEH

I can't wait for the 498dm contour to crash onto my roof.

The 500 low is actually south of 40N on the Euro at 48h at the same longitude as Montauk...if it ends up a bit stronger than progged on the 12z, that would be hellacious.

It's sort of odd because it "looks" like the mid level centers are really ready to go to town as they emerge off NJ.

Interesting though that most of the models today with the exception of the GFS have trended in an unimpressive direction IMO. 

The 500 low is actually south of 40N on the Euro at 48h at the same longitude as Montauk...if it ends up a bit stronger than progged on the 12z, that would be hellacious.

Will, correct me if I am wrong but now at 12z (Sunday)  the 5H low isn't fully closed like it was on previous runs, instead of seeing a trend toward stronger mid levels, is it going slightly the other way (even if it can still chance later or in now cast)

Ya, I mean we are going to snow and get warning levels snows, but I want a memorable 4-6 hour memorable period Sunday AM and this is not getting it done verbatim. Just looks like we are trending toward lower end of guidance with the caveat that a small change in mid level strength would be a game changer (could double amounts) , increase winds during storm Sun am,etc.

Archived