joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Super Snow Sunday

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GFS was in that east camp last time and the NAM was actually on the west camp. Now you have them switched for this one. That too me is a bigger red flag, meaning the same will not happen. You have a less reliable camp now of the UKIE/GGEM/NAM instead of GGEM/UKIE/GFS. If the GFS isn't in the east camp I think the east camp is a bogus one.

UKMET is largely not reliable regardless of scoring.  GGEM can sometimes have issues with these split developments.  The telltatale is the GGEM with the trough - it does this when it really is struggling in trying to develop a western low but the physics want it east.  Probably erroneous.

We may not see consensus, it may be a gametime deal or close to it.   GFS has been pretty good this winter, although it's largely alone that doesn't mean it's wrong.

High wind watches hoisted for most of the Mid Atlantic, which is like the most exciting thing they've had in months. Quite a disappointing winter for them.

Yea, I thought that they'd have had a "decent winter"....much better up here, but I didn't think it would be this miserable down there, mainly because I did not expect the polar fields to misbehave the way they have. 

We can get away with it with gusto, but they can not.

I still think they eventually catch a break.

Yeah, things are pretty much off the charts. But calendar months are arbitrary, I pulled climate numbers........ Add the cold temperatures and the snowfall, and it creates the huge problems. And if it's 65 in March and pours rain, watch out.

Everything you said in there I agree with. Amazing Amazing Amazing. I knew about the temperatures coupled with snow in terms of the Middle of big storms, but the Sub-Freezing stretch I wasn't sure of since I'm not sure where to find that info.

EURO very similar through 33 in terms of precip.

Yea, I thought that they'd have had a "decent winter"....much better up here, but I didn't think it would be this miserable down there, mainly because I did not expect the polar fields to misbehave the way they have. 

We can get away with it with gusto, but they can not.

I still think they eventually catch a break.

Agreed, wouldn't be surprised to see midweek storm trend back into a colder solution for them

BOX playing the middle ground for this one which seems to be a logical choice given lack of model consensus.  No WSW's W of Worcester in MA.  Through all the analysis here this morning and looking at the models as best I can I am inclined to say the wind and cold will be the more memorable factors with this one rather than snow totals in SNE.  Somebody will have a decent jackpot but with the speed of the storm the fluctuations in modeled qpf  and some relative screw zones and or poor snow growth from wind shattered dendrites it seems like double digit totals will be the exception rather than the norm.

You and I went through this on the last big system and this one is even more of an issue. I think we may be underplayng the tug for this one to attempt to develop way offshore, or at least split/delay consolidation between the intense thermal boundary vs in advance of ULL. By the time it consolidates it's just too late.

Assuming high ratios Boston nws seems fine.

You and I have also had an incredible stretch of 2nd-half storms, to say the least: systems that at nowcast seemed to favor the eastern/less-impactful solutions, only to comeback in the 2nd half and verify similar to GFS. GFS has not done badly this winter, and that ensemble post by Baro lends credence.

Weird midlevels and surface looks better but output is quite meh.

It's because as the ULL goes offshore of ACY, it doesn't deepen as rapidly as 00z...so it actually ends up slightly E. It's a great track for the upper/mid-levels, but they are not as strong. Which is definitely a bit strange because I would have figured the opposite early on given the further S and southwest digging through the lakes and OH Valley

Archived