joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Super Snow Sunday

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People that think they are getting 5 could get 15..People thinking they are getting 12 could get 6..The one danger is don't base a forecast off of qpf. We have never seen an ULL this strong take this path..surprises galore are going to occur

Lower heights don't equal strength exactly. Just like you can have more impacts from a 985 low vs 972 or something like that. It's all relative.

Well, consider the current set of curcumstances in Boston...would you rathe rbust high, or low?

I don't think there's realistic public backlash for either at this point... the uninformed consumer of local media weather forecasts is just going to say "Oh great. More snow." because in his or her mind, it's beyond the point of measurements being relevant. No where to put it means it doesn't matter terribly much just what falls.

Well, consider the current set of curcumstances in Boston...would you rathe rbust high, or low?

Tru dat.  

"Sorry folks, snow's cancelled...the moose out front should have told you"

I would rather they show what the thinking is, and not try to make people feel warm and tingly.  But maybe that is what they are thinking

I don't think there's realistic public backlash for either at this point... the uninformed consumer of local media weather forecasts is just going to say "Oh great. More snow." because in his or her mind, it's beyond the point of measurements being relevant. No where to put it means it doesn't matter terribly much just what falls.

Touche. 

Unless it really went bonkers, agreed.

People that think they are getting 5 could get 15..People thinking they are getting 12 could get 6..The one danger is don't base a forecast off of qpf. We have never seen an ULL this strong take this path..surprises galore are going to occur

As you said yesterday, and to which I agree, "we are going to see things [this weekend] that we have NEVER seen before."

I set up a forecast contest for this event. The last one was a lot of fun and the folks who played seemed to enjoy it, so hopefully we get more to join in on the fun! It'll only take you a couple of minutes, and you've got until 1201 PM on Saturday to submit.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/45715-forecast-contest-214-152015-storm/

Touche. 

Unless it really went bonkers, agreed.

Exactly; they would have to be all-in on thundersnow and 16"+ amounts to sound the severe rally cry, and yeah, if the Euro and at least two other models seemed in lockstep for 12-18 hours of apocalyptic Hoth, they might step up the wolf cry.

But as things currently stand, dynamics looks neat, actual surface depictions look wonky, there's considerable disagreement on what sets up where despite a tight timeframe... take the general idea of the QPF, run your ratios through it and shoot for the middle with as low risk of it biting you in the ass as possible.

I get the approach.

If Boston doesn't get under a band and gets 5" that's pushed every which way in the existing snow canyons from the storms that came before it, it'll look like a lot of nothing happened. But it'll still come off as "oh great more snow" to a lot of folks who never really bother with the measuring stick.

How do you decide what to go with at this point? I guess it makes sense to wait until 0z

Not sure about a 50/50 blend here

Gut. Obviously there is time, but snowfall ranges FTW too. They are made for times like these. Just have to convey uncertainty. I honestly have no idea what would happen if we got another foot. My wife is already losing it after the commute nightmare that has been the last few days.

Gut. Obviously there is time, but snowfall ranges FTW too. They are made for times like these. Just have to convey uncertainty. I honestly have no idea what would happen if we got another foot. My wife is already losing it after the commute nightmare that has been the last few days.

This is a storm where you pull out the ol' 8-16" range from the 1990s...and don't apologize for it. :lol:

Archived