joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 14-15 Flizzard and Wind Event

Bob Chill

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are temps looking like for this? I see a high of 40 tomorrow. Hopefully this comes in behind the front.

It's going to be along the front. We'll start upper 30s to lower 40s probaby, but that heavy-hitting squall should drop us to near/below freezing pretty quick between pulling down the cooler air and the wind shift.

We'll get thumped out here with a decent snowfall, but the thing that will really make this an interesting event is the wind and temps. Low of -8 degrees with wind gusts up to 41 mph will make it feel like we are on the planet Hoth from the Empire Strikes Back.

Yeah Saturday night should be absurd.  Just going by the NAM/GFS and how they did with yesterday's upslope they both look a little more bullish for tomorrow, with wider coverage and more qpf.  

We'll get thumped out here with a decent snowfall, but the thing that will really make this an interesting event is the wind and temps. Low of -8 degrees with wind gusts up to 41 mph will make it feel like we are on the planet Hoth from the Empire Strikes Back.

The cold, wind and snow will make it feel to you as though you are serving life on the Klingon-controlled frozen planet Rura Penthe, which had deep snowdrifts and extreme cold. Captain James T. Kirk and Dr. McCoy were imprisoned there after their sentencing for the murder of Klingon Chancellor Gorkon, in the Star Trek movie, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

Seems like a lot for something like this. The line would really have to mean business to drop that much over such a large area.

Frontal type squall line could easily drop .1-.2. Not evenly distributed though.

Pretty intense temp difference along with decent lift and instability considering it's Feb. Surface temps above freezing in advance is a negative but a hard hitting line followed by high winds and temps falling rapidly is going to he fun.

Frontal type squall line could easily drop .1-.2. Not evenly distributed though.

Pretty intense temp difference along with decent lift and instability considering it's Feb. Surface temps above freezing in advance is a negative but a hard hitting line followed by high winds and temps falling rapidly is going to he fun.

I haven't been interested or paying attention; what time is the line?  If it's daylight, then forget about it; it'll be just like yesterday...snow TV.

When exactly is it going to cross our region Saturday night?

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

325 AM EST FRI FEB 13 2015

DCZ001-MDZ003>006-011-013-014-016>018-503>508-VAZ052>054-505-506-

WVZ051>053-131630-

/O.NEW.KLWX.HW.A.0001.150214T2300Z-150215T1700Z/

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-WASHINGTON-FREDERICK MD-CARROLL-

NORTHERN BALTIMORE-SOUTHERN BALTIMORE-PRINCE GEORGES-ANNE ARUNDEL-

CHARLES-ST. MARYS-CALVERT-NORTHWEST MONTGOMERY-

CENTRAL AND SOUTHEASTERN MONTGOMERY-NORTHWEST HOWARD-

CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST HOWARD-NORTHWEST HARFORD-SOUTHEAST HARFORD-

PRINCE WILLIAM/MANASSAS/MANASSAS PARK-FAIRFAX-

ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-WESTERN LOUDOUN-EASTERN LOUDOUN-

MORGAN-BERKELEY-JEFFERSON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WASHINGTON...HAGERSTOWN...FREDERICK...

WESTMINSTER...PARKTON...REISTERSTOWN...COCKEYSVILLE...BALTIMORE...

DUNDALK...CATONSVILLE...ANNAPOLIS...WALDORF...ST MARYS CITY...

GERMANTOWN...DAMASCUS...ROCKVILLE...LISBON...COLUMBIA...

ELLICOTT CITY...JARRETTSVILLE...ABERDEEN...MANASSAS...

MANASSAS PARK...FAIRFAX...ALEXANDRIA...FALLS CHURCH...

PURCELLVILLE...LEESBURG...ASHBURN...MARTINSBURG...CHARLES TOWN

325 AM EST FRI FEB 13 2015

...HIGH WIND WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY EVENING THROUGH SUNDAY

MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS

ISSUED A HIGH WIND WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY

EVENING THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING.

* TIMING...NORTHWEST WINDS WILL INCREASE BEHIND A STRONG COLD

FRONT SATURDAY EVENING THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING.

* WINDS...POSSIBLE 60 MPH NORTHWEST GUSTS.

* IMPACTS...DOWNED TREES...POWERLINES...AND MINOR STRUCTURAL

DAMAGE. DRIVING HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES IN THESE CONDITIONS IS

DANGEROUS.

Thanks.  So it looks like maybe 6 PM out here.  Pretty iffy for me to see anything that accumulates then with an afternoon high of 40F.

I honestly wouldn't be that worried about the temps.  Even if it pops to 40, the ground is good and frozen today and we aren't going to spend much time above freezing.  This will be practically convective in that it will drag down cold air.  The temp drop will be noticeable when it starts snowing.  The bigger problem out west might be the downslope, but I'll be honest, I'm not sure how you do climatologically in situations like this.

12z NAM 1 hour snowfall

post-1746-0-02637800-1423837368_thumb.gi

I honestly wouldn't be that worried about the temps.  Even if it pops to 40, the ground is good and frozen today and we aren't going to spend much time above freezing.  This will be practically convective in that it will drag down cold air.  The temp drop will be noticeable when it starts snowing.  The bigger problem out west might be the downslope, but I'll be honest, I'm not sure how you do climatologically in situations like this.

12z NAM 1 hour snowfall

attachicon.gifUSA_ASNOWI1_sfc_036.gif

Poorly.  Very poorly.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Archived