joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Super Snow Sunday 2/15-Party Like it's 1717

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This PV anomaly trucking out of the Arctic is mainly an upper level feature, with very little disturbance in the low levels initially.

We know we have a strong baroclinic zone setting up along the East Coast at the same time. The upper level PV anomaly will induce a cyclonic flow in the low levels. Cyclonic flow over a strong baroclinic zone initiates WAA on the east side, and CAA on the west side of the upper level anomaly. This develops cyclone formation in the low levels, which feeds back to the upper levels and strengthens in the upper disturbance.

So you can see how for a time these two features will be in sync with each other and allow for the rapid cyclogenesis being modeled.

Here is where modeling stands at 06z (12z in the case of the ECMWF) Sunday. 500 mb heights (yellow), 700 mb heights (white), and vorticity (shaded).

You can see the GFS is already the northern outlier in 500 mb low, in addition to the fact that the NAM and GGEM both have digging left to do before rounding the base of the trough.

Next frame we lose the NAM, but the ECMWF and GGEM are both south of SNE with the 500 mb low, the GFS is NE off the tip of Cape Cod.

attachicon.gif4pnl.png

great post.  i love seeing the different models like that.  thank you.

Tomorrow's storm fell apart after a few decent runs. The Sunday storm could do something similar. Late spins ups are notoriously tricky. Southern stream events are more reliable.

tomorrow had no legs from the get go, couple of good op runs with huge Ens spread, could this fall apart. Sure but I would go 75-25 it won't

Isn't the more likely option a SW trend than north given the transient block? N stream systems like to trend south while southern streamers come north

And highly dynamic and diabatic systems like to cut across temp gradients rather than follow them. There are many things that can affect storm track.

Or it could go the other way and nuke on the BM. But man people are losing their minds..lol.

i just don't want a scenario in which we are modeled to be not he western fringe of the heavy snow shield, as it is forecasted to explode just in time...and remember that I said this, these late-bloomers are notorious for ticking ne right up until go-time....models continue to chase, chase, chase, and never quite catch up.

We saw this in the blizzard, which some, myself included, predicted.

Not usually that drastic, but...

Heres the difference between what was the GFS run which showed a good snow storm tomorrow and what the prog is for Sunday, massive overwhelming anomaly signal Sunday. for this to fail or be shunted is going to take some serious model changes at all levels and across all models and their Ens gfs_z500a_us_17.pngn

Pretty colors.

If that ULL passes over KGON this storm is one hell of a bust for many. Need to get it south and get it to dig. An ULL over our fannies may be NB but pretty lame otherwise.

I almost went bonkers on edduggs but I realize the cold now would mitigate against that disaster this time.

I think a gfs solution would be rather meh. However, I think this goes either gfs or euro...no in between. I doubt a compromise this time.

lol  I was in the HV for Dec 2000.  Actually one of the biggest snowstorms of my life outside of Utah.  This setup clearly favors further east.

Pretty colors.

If that ULL passes over KGON this storm is one hell of a bust for many. Need to get it south and get it to dig. An ULL over our fannies may be NB but pretty lame otherwise.

Disagree a 498 passing overhead is still going to be pretty sweet, you are looking for big qpf numbers, not me but heres some more pretty colors for you, Try to temper your enthusiasm you have been such a bundle of excitement since you missed the best storm of the year. From undah

What time does the $hit really hit the fan in the more robust depiction?

Hard to tell off 6 hour panels but on the 12z euro you've got around 1" down by 7 and 5"+ down by 1 am Sunday morning. I'd guess somewhere in the 9-11 range is when it gets ugly, but that's an educated guess given that I only have 6 hour maps to work off of.

Archived