joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Super Snow Sunday 2/15-Party Like it's 1717

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poor man's analysis and you could pick a potential temp surface and plot pressure on it (this shows you the slope of the surface (higher pressures are troughs, lowers pressures are ridges in this sense).

post-44-0-06466400-1423690423_thumb.png

This is a poor man's analysis because given the moisture and potential instability present we can have diabatic processes occur and parcels won't follow their original potential temp lines.

Imagine they did though, and you can see how warm conveyor winds wrapping around to the NW of the cyclone would be forced "up" to higher pressure surfaces as they follow (in this case the 285 K) potential temp surface. This is the added lift that lingers on the NW side of occluded systems.

Poor man's analysis and you could pick a potential temp surface and plot pressure on it (this shows you the slope of the surface (higher pressures are troughs, lowers pressures are ridges in this sense).

attachicon.gifTROWAL2.png

This is a poor man's analysis because given the moisture and potential instability present we can have diabatic processes occur and parcels won't follow their original potential temp lines.

Imagine they did though, and you can see how warm conveyor winds wrapping around to the NW of the cyclone would be forced "up" to higher pressure surfaces as they follow (in this case the 285 K) potential temp surface. This is the added lift that lingers on the NW side of occluded systems.

ozone

GYX issues its discussion at 1:24 without apparently looking too much at the 12Z suite for Sunday.  Their long term discussion is the same as the one overnight.  Seems BOX did the same.

For reference the long term is rarely, if ever, updated during the intermediate hours with new forecast information. The near/short term is updated every 3 hours or so, so the long term will always be the previous shift's version until the main package is issued.

That has nothing to do with how things can change in 4 days though. Hopefully this is a region wide event.

Agree. I'm actually hoping boston gets 2ft, I want to see chaos. I want the public on their knees begging for it to stop.

Also, I'm flying out of town Sunday so I have no skin in this really besides hoping my flight gets off the ground.

Stony Brook ensemble sensitivity plots are pretty neat to look at. Positional uncertainty (mainly west) seems to account for a large portion of the spread for 12z GEFS. Largest mslp spread in the vicinity of NYC probably has to do with the closed H5 low almost overhead despite the strongest baroclinicity pushed well to the east. Some members must be popping a low closer to the coast before a rapid transition/redevelopment further east.

Either way, looking at the sensitivity plots a further west surface track occurs if the H5 trough is deeper and centered further WSW with enhanced upstream and downstream ridging (not a big surprise). The features to keep an eye on in subsequent model runs are the phase of the northeast Pacific ridge (sensitivities on the upstream side) and the amplitude of ridging across northern Quebec.

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to much of a coherent signal that we can track from now forward to see how models are verifying. Ideally, we would be able to compare something like the higher heights over Canada to tonight's 00z balloon launches. However, those higher heights moves out into the Atlantic and disappear.

Seems like possibly higher heights over AK tomorrow night could be important to watch for a farther west track.

It is natural to focus on BOS metro for 3 reasons right now...1.) they have the densest population in this forum...2.) They (back to about ORH and 20 miles eithe side) has the highest snowpack in the state...3) They are in one of the highest impact locations for this storm as currently modeled

#3 can change for sure, but that is why there is a lot of focus for that region.

If you are in central MA you are certainly looking good too..CT should be fine. Nobody is trying to "Steal your snow".

For reference the long term is rarely, if ever, updated during the intermediate hours with new forecast information. The near/short term is updated every 3 hours or so, so the long term will always be the previous shift's version until the main package is issued.

I'm used to seeing the main package between 3 and 4 so the 1:24 update was just a bit later than usual perhaps.  Because it was after the Euro and GEFS and GGEM and UK, I was all weenied up.

That makes me sick too. Just have to be in awe and sitback and watch things evolve.

Yeah...I'm rooting for BOS at this point because we never will see this again. Might as well maximize the potential. Also easy for me as this has been the best month of skiing up here in many years.

Some are getting antsy though.

It is natural to focus on BOS metro for 3 reasons right now...1.) they have the densest population in this forum...2.) They (back to about ORH and 20 miles eithe side) has the highest snowpack in the state region...3) They are in one of the highest impact locations for this storm as currently modeled

#3 can change for sure, but that is why there is a lot of focus for that region.

If you are in central MA you are certainly looking good too..CT should be fine. Nobody is trying to "Steal your snow".

FYP

Archived