joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Super Snow Sunday 2/15-Party Like it's 1717

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, if that pans out, the ridiculously far-fetched idea of someone pulling 100" in 30 days suddenly seems quite obtainable…Wow...

Even BOS at 70.5 since 1/24. 12 days to get to 100. If BOS overperforms as it did in the past couple of storms and the 12Z Euroverifies, well, it's really one big storm or a couple of dink-and-dunks away from happening. Which would be unbelievable, quite literally, since '96 was the only 100+ year and it took until April to top that one off.

Fun facts: 70.5 is more than all but 11 of the past 122 winters. In barely two weeks. Also working on one of the longer streaks (since 1936 when reporting was moved to BOS) below 40 (23 and counting, record is 38) and could get a long streak of 32 or below if the storms stay off the coast (record 16 days). So not much melting going down. Sun angle will start to melt the snow soon, but with that pack, it will take a while. And the longer you go in to the spring, the more chance for a big rainstorm to give you serious flooding.

Why can't this one produce 30", duration is progressive?

Yes...I mean it could produce 30"...but that is such an extreme value, so you are not going to start predicting that on a storm that lasts under 24h.

At the very least, wait until we are much closer to start throwing around historic amounts.

Nice to see a strong solution from the Euro as we get closer in.

Would build confidence if the ensembles support it before they become less of an important tool at killin' range.

It would be nice if some of the western ensembles were showing Schenectady getting blasted.

QPF Queens:

>1.00" from ASH-ORH-CT/RI border and eastward....includes all of coastal Maine.

0.75" line is about from roughly Old Lyme-Tolland-Keene, NH-CON-IZG

0.50" line is basically I-91 eastward but bends back NE around LEB up through MWN and Sunday River

that blows.

Congrats again, Beantown.

Yes...I mean it could produce 30"...but that is such an extreme value, so you are not going to start predicting that on a storm that lasts under 24h.

At the very least, wait until we are much closer to start throwing around historic amounts.

For a Sunday storm, you begin to look at the finer details on Friday.

Right now we're just dealing with one run -- the 12z suite of guidance -- and gaining confidence that there will be a significant impact.

Will Scooter die? Well, in time, all of you will die. But Will's right; we should be patient before discussing exactly HOW Scooter will die in the coming storm.

Totally jMHO, but theres something about bowling ball closed lows that models seem to be able to latch on enmasse and provide similar solutions. I am all in on this one and if it fails my bad but until it does I can not stress enough how impactful this is on a city/urban area of millions

I think it's a lot easier for us to be confident with 5mb 7mb 850mb and surface tracks all ideal for SNE. Even the models maybe?

Closer to about 18000' give or take. It depends how cold or warm the atmosphere is. 

MWObs at 6288' usually reports ±800mb, and Lakes of the Clouds just below there (~5000') often verifies 850mb temperatures pretty well (having spent time in ice fog there while the valleys below were partly cloudy in the 50s).

Planes usually fly at about 250 mb level (30000+ feet), so if you're looking to see if a flight (transcons, especially) will be early or late based on the jet stream those are usually the maps to look at. Which is how you get 7 hour flights to the West Coast (or carriers flying 320s or 737s having to stop for fuel on the way out) and 4:30 flights back.

Totally jMHO, but theres something about bowling ball closed lows that models seem to be able to latch on enmasse and provide similar solutions. I am all in on this one and if it fails my bad but until it does I can not stress enough how impactful this is on a city/urban area of millions

Deep closed 5H lows going south of SNE always deserve to be watched closely...it's like a Commandment of SNE wx forecasting.

I know this was mentioned yesterday when the storm didn't look nearly as good.

Looked like most members were S of LI with the SLP.  Would not be a bad track.

Stony Brook ensemble sensitivity plots are pretty neat to look at. Positional uncertainty (mainly west) seems to account for a large portion of the spread for 12z GEFS. Largest mslp spread in the vicinity of NYC probably has to do with the closed H5 low almost overhead despite the strongest baroclinicity pushed well to the east. Some members must be popping a low closer to the coast before a rapid transition/redevelopment further east.

EOF_4fig_NCEP.gif

Either way, looking at the sensitivity plots a further west surface track occurs if the H5 trough is deeper and centered further WSW with enhanced upstream and downstream ridging (not a big surprise). The features to keep an eye on in subsequent model runs are the phase of the northeast Pacific ridge (sensitivities on the upstream side) and the amplitude of ridging across northern Quebec.

SEN_1_NCEP_Z500_1.5-4day.gif

Archived