joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Super Snow Sunday 2/15-Party Like it's 1717

40/70 Benchmark

BOX 4pm AFD

LATE SAT INTO SUN...
AS WAS ALLUDED TO YESTERDAY...IT WAS WISE NOT TO GIVE UP ON
ANOTHER DOUBLE BARREL SECONDARY DEVELOPMENT FOR THIS PERIOD.
ALTHOUGH THE INITIAL SETUP IS SIMILAR TO THE STORM FOR
TOMORROW...WITH A CLIPPER SHIFTING ENERGY TO A DEVELOPING MID
ATLANTIC STORM...IT APPEARS THE ENSEMBLES WERE MORE PRECISE WITH
THE HIGH AMPLITUDE ARCTIC TROF. MODELS INDICATE A DEEP TROP FOLD
WHERE THE 2.0 DYNAMIC TROP REACHES AS LOW AS 550HPA AND THE 1.5 AS
LOW AS 750HPA. THEREFORE...GIVEN THE COLD AND VERY AMPLIFIED
POTENTIAL NATURE OF THIS SYSTEM...THE GFS IS LIKELY JUST TOO FAR N
SO WILL BE FAVORING THE ECMWF IN TERMS OF OPERATIONAL GUIDANCE
WITH SOME WEIGHT TOWARD THE ENSEMBLE MEANS.

WHAT ALL THIS MEANS IS...THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR ANOTHER VERY
STRONG COASTAL STORM PASSING VERY CLOSE THE 40/70 BENCHMARK. THE
TROP FOLD SUGGESTS VERY STRONG WAVELENGTH COMPRESSION WITH THE LOW
DEEPENING FROM 990S TO LOW 970S IN 12 HOURS S OF THE REGION. THIS
IS COLD...SO ONCE AGAIN P-TYPE IS LIKELY TO REMAIN MOSTLY TO ALL
SNOW. QPF VALUES RANGE FROM SHY OF 0.5 IN THE W TO AS MUCH AS 0.75
TO 1.25 INCHES ACROSS THE E. RATIOS ARE LIKELY TO BE A BIT ABOVE
THE 10 TO 1 STANDARD GIVEN THE COLD AIR AND VERY ROBUST UPWARD
MOTION THROUGH THE COLUMN...INCLUDING THE DENDRITE REGION.
THEREFORE...PLOWABLE SNOW IS LIKELY WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF
ANOTHER SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL AKIN TO SOME OF THE BIGGER STORMS WE
HAVE SEEN IN THE LAST FEW WEEKS ESPECIALLY IN THE E HALF OF THE
REGION BUT EXACT AXES REMAIN UNCERTAIN AT THIS TIME.

POTENTIALLY A 50-60 KT LLJ ACROSS THE REGION...STRONG WINDS CAN/T
BE RULED OUT HERE EITHER...WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF BLIZZARD
CONDITIONS. POWER OUTAGES ALSO SOMETHING OF CONCERN ESPECIALLY AT
COASTAL AREAS WHERE RATIOS WOULD BE LOWER.

THIS JET ALSO MEANS THE NEED TO WATCH TIDES. SUN AM HIGH TIDE IS
10.1 IN BOS BUT WILL NOT HAVE HAD A LONG PERIOD OF FETCH ALTHOUGH
IF THIS LOW DEEPENS AS RAPIDLY AS POTENTIALLY FORECAST...SOME
MINOR COASTAL FLOODING CAN/T BE RULED OUT...BUT SURGE AT THIS
MOMENT IS LIKELY TO ACTUALLY PEAK DURING LOW TIDE.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's ok to discuss different models and solutions that aren't as favorable. I feel like when you mention something that isn't snowy, people come at you with "oh that's not the same situation" or "oh the GFS doesn't handle this or that well." There should not be pressure to only mention snowy scenarios and I feel like that is a problem. It's ok. Weather will do what weather does.

Of course it's ok to discuss, but what Mets are asking is just don't base forecasts on them.. Especially when they are outliers

That was the big time bias when it was Nogaps but now the Navgem doesn't seem to be nearly as pronounced in that direction.  It's a much better model than it was 2 years ago.  It was one of the early latchers on of the 1/26-7/2015 blizzard.

Thanks for the response, Jerry. 

Methinks this would be a good weekend for me to go back to Maine and visit the in-laws.  Um.........maybe not.

19.4/6

Now that's what I'm talking about.

That's a 168 HR map, though.... so it includes precip from systems outside the realm of the storm this thread is for, presumably Tues-Wed impact. Muddies the waters a bit if you're just trying to look at the Sunday threat.

I think it's ok to discuss different models and solutions that aren't as favorable. I feel like when you mention something that isn't snowy, people come at you with "oh that's not the same situation" or "oh the GFS doesn't handle this or that well." There should not be pressure to only mention snowy scenarios and I feel like that is a problem. It's ok. Weather will do what weather does.

Yeah there usually is a quick retort to anything non-snowy...even when you were mentioning the Wednesday event earlier there was stuff resistance at even the notion of anything other than snow.

Just don't base forecasts off the non-snowy solutions.

That's a 168 HR map, though.... so it includes precip from systems outside the realm of the storm this thread is for, presumably Tues-Wed impact. Muddies the waters a bit if you're just trying to look at the Sunday threat.

Most of the snow on that graphic north of I-84 comes from next week's system.

Of course it's ok to discuss, but what Mets are asking is just don't base forecasts on them.. Especially when they are outliers

I didn't see forecasts, but it's far enough out so that you can't always throw a solution out, even if someone like myself thinks the euro is closer to correct. If the euro hedges to the GFS, that changes things.

That thing sort of came off the coast further south and then tracked north ... this one is coming off the coast further north and tracking east. Different aloft too.

This is a northern stream clipper.  Initially dry.  Takes a while to wrap in atlantic moisture and the upper wave is traversing relatively fast.

That thing sort of came off the coast further south and then tracked north ... this one is coming off the coast further north and tracking east. Different aloft too.

In the model world it's similar though in that models are struggling with how fast it develops. In that scheme it's not that much different and Messenger has noted several times this season how the EURO can be too quick to bomb out.

It may be fine this time, but the idea is when does it develop and what model will be best at figuring that out. Is it quick near Long Island, or is it Gulf of Maine?

In the model world it's similar though in that models are struggling with how fast it develops. In that scheme it's not that much different and Messenger has noted several times this season how the EURO can be too quick to bomb out.

It may be fine this time, but the idea is when does it develop and what model will be best at figuring that out. Is it quick near Long Island, or is it Gulf of Maine?

Thats why I'm a bit hesitant to jump all in at this time. That difference isn't all that big in the grand scheme, at this range. However, it has huge impacts on sensible weather in this area. Difference between a crushing storm and a light to moderate event.

Tempering expectations until at least 00z tomorrow night

522 closing off as it approached from a deep trough 498 closed off 600 miles to the NW. Model timing on ULL feature closing off in the blizzard affected eventual SW timing and position, this one is closed off and consistent on timing, other than minor SW placement ENS are clustered.

Archived