joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Super Snow Sunday 2/15-Party Like it's 1717

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

everyone wants a foot every storm,if not it's a fail. Definitely disappointed in what has transpired to this place,bunch of Rex Ryan's.

I just want to see some dark cloud bases.

Precipitation is overrated....I'm so sick of people yearning for anomalous weather on a weather board. jk

I think I'm going to enjoy this one either way. There is going to be some pretty explosive development in our neighborhood.

When I speak about potential vorticity anomalies inducing flow, here is an example of what can happen. I previously posted the image of the PV anomaly roaring out of the Great Lakes. At 00z Sunday you can see the wind field on the tropopause (or thereabouts).

post-44-0-31534100-1423708627_thumb.jpeg

Pay attention to what happens in the blue circle as the PV anomaly induces stronger cyclonic flow aloft, and the diabatic production of a low level PV anomaly feeds back onto the upper level flow too. You have a 130+ knot jet explode to the east of the developing cyclone.

post-44-0-77375800-1423708637_thumb.jpeg

I think I'm going to enjoy this one either way. There is going to be some pretty explosive development in our neighborhood.

When I speak about potential vorticity anomalies inducing flow, here is an example of what can happen. I previously posted the image of the PV anomaly roaring out of the Great Lakes. At 00z Sunday you can see the wind field on the tropopause (or thereabouts).

tropwind00z.jpeg

Pay attention to what happens in the blue circle as the PV anomaly induces stronger cyclonic flow aloft, and the diabatic production of a low level PV anomaly feeds back onto the upper level flow too. You have a 130+ knot jet explode to the east of the developing cyclone.

tropwind06z.jpeg

some degreed guys are not getting it

Watched Harv  and his summary (to those who didn't hear him ) says something along the lines of  " we still have one way out of this " if it redevelops over , or just north of us we wont' get much snow" , but " the likelihood to me is it redevelops just south of us, radically intensifies and draws on moisture from Atlantic and draws from tremendous amount of energy in atmosphere" and crush us.  

Gives BOS better than 50/50 of getting "this".  Seems like further NE you go, more wiggle room but i'm just guessing.

attachicon.giftropwind00z.jpeg

attachicon.giftropwind06z.jpeg

Thanks for all the education tonight!

I notice a wind from the NNE in NH in that scenario.  Generally I do better with a more NE wind.  Will those wind directions bet the same at all levels of the atmosphere or is the NNE wind feeding in cold while winds at another layer of the atmosphere are feeding in moisture?

I thought GYX was quite conservative, although perhaps appropriate  in the zones.  Basically 50% chance of snow at CON Sat night but not on Sunday.  I think the Euro and GFS were both above .5qpf to CON weren't they?  At least Euro was.  Maybe GFS was .25-.5.

attachicon.giftropwind00z.jpeg

attachicon.giftropwind06z.jpeg

Yeah the low static stability is gonna help this explode in the GOM. All those processes as you said really aiding the low. Just a matter of where.

some degreed guys are not getting it

If that depiction is correct im super stoked about what's heading toward Halifax! Once in a lifetime miss!

Seriously though it certainly has potential to be big. Lots going for it but in terms of sensible Wx here where we all live there's a lot that can go wrong.

If that depiction is correct im super stoked about what's heading toward Halifax! Once in a lifetime miss!

Seriously though it certainly has potential to be big. Lots going for it but in terms of sensible Wx here where we all live there's a lot that can go wrong.

0z NAM perfectly illustrates what the current ULL trajectory does...we watch the storm erupt but a little too far ENE so maybe Maine and Halifax get smoked. 

There has been more epic blizzards at H5 then we can count

Exactly...which is exactly why the fella who has plans to take his girl down to Newport Saturday shouldn't cancel.  There's 8-10 inches of snow on the ground down here.  60 miles south epicosity meets banality.  You guys have been stealing my snow for years..now you wanna steal my tourism dollars?!  Let the guy have some fun...sure, it could be a tough ride home on Sunday...but Newport never ever jackpots and the odds of Newport, Rhode Island...the picturesque snow-hole of New England getting a "blizzard" this weekend are slim to none.

Didn't the Euro even show this area being right at the S. extent of the good snows?? It just seems to me that even a slight bump N from its depiction would mean a lighter event here. I hope I awake to posts about this digging further S but from all the posts I just read that seems highly unlikely.

Archived