Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 31-February 2nd Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still think it is a little strange that the northern shortwave, right now, is in British Columbia, in a ridge, that is, it is a dimple in a flat 500mb ridge at 558dm, north of the border! It will be interacting with the 1044mb cold high in northern Alberta, with a reasonable temperature gradient. It seems like a relatively less-amazing setup, that will produce an amazing storm in over 24 hrs!!!

I wish I had 1/2 the confidence you do. :D Looks to be a rather tight one shaping up for here. Boom or bust.

Looks like it's the RGEM vs NAM/GFS in Indy...and here too I guess too. Hopefully we can both pull off the houdini act that IND did with 1/5/2014. 

Was thinking about that storm a little while ago.  IND had thermal questions going in and it ended up breaking favorably.  Doesn't mean this one will but at least it's a recent example.  Different angle of approach but track of the surface/mid level features is similar to that storm (in this area at least).

Was thinking about that storm a little while ago.  IND had thermal questions going in and it ended up breaking favorably.  Doesn't mean this one will but at least it's a recent example.  Different angle of approach but track of the surface/mid level features is similar to that storm (in this area at least).

Are the thermal questions related to the classic WAA being underdone?  That's what I've been worried about.

I have to go with what I forecast today as my first call, so 9.8" here in northeastern Naperville and 10" at ORD.

Sent from my SM-G900V

I told my mom 12-15" in western Lake county IN.  They look to be in a good spot for the synoptic portion and also for lake enhancement/effect.  Looking forward to the overnight afd from LOT.

Interesting that the GFS is a bit more juicy than the nam, usually it is the other way around.

This and how the outlier models were picking up on the northern shift before the main players. Make sense with the northern dominate modeling of the GEM explained a few pages back.  

Some impressive clowns displayed tonight. Plows are waiting !! I hope Lucy is not prepping for her famous half time show.

I told my mom 12-15" in western Lake county IN. They look to be in a good spot for the synoptic portion and also for lake enhancement/effect. Looking forward to the overnight afd from LOT.

I think that area ended up the cwa jackpot pretty much. Might have fallen out as a shade over 11". I'm thinking there's gonna be a pivoting lake band moving through that area early Monday morning. Kinda reminiscent to the grand finale of GHD, though I'm guessing maybe not quite as intense. Though the NAM did show potential for mesolow development which could slow forward progress of the LE band some.

Archived