• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 31-February 2nd Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

Definitely not as epic as a run as I was thinking initially for northern IL but the lake effect signal remains strong. NAM was a bit of a wet outlier compared to the rest of the guidance today, so seems more like an adjustment closer to consensus.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RGEM keeps QCA mostly rain through 8-9pm, but still delivers well over 6". Looks like a nice thumping from late evening through predawn, and then a drawn out lighter snow all day Sunday/Sunday evening.

Unless this current run is warmer than most of the earlier guidance today, I'd be surprised if it stays rain that late there. Highest max wet bulbs remained under 1C at precip onset on a lot of what I looked at, but I guess we'll see. It was definitely a concern I had for the southwest half of the LOT CWA.

Unless this current run is warmer than most of the earlier guidance today, I'd be surprised if it stays rain that late there. Highest max wet bulbs remained under 1C at precip onset on a lot of what I looked at, but I guess we'll see. It was definitely a concern I had for the southwest half of the LOT CWA.

Yeah I was looking at some forecast soundings earlier from the 12km NAM and it looks like there's just enough warmth in the lower km or so to make things a bit dicey for a few hours after onset.  I get a little pessimistic whenever I see a model like the RGEM/4KM NAM showing rain/mix in a situation like this, as warm air has a tendency to be pesky and take awhile to mix out.  Since they've done fairly decent in the past I'm sort of riding with them at this point, but hopefully they're overdoing the lingering warm layer a little.  In either case I'm pretty confident in a 6"+ snow for the QCA at this point.  

Yeah I was looking at some forecast soundings earlier from the 12km NAM and it looks like there's just enough warmth in the lower km or so to make things a bit dicey for a few hours after onset. I get a little pessimistic whenever I see a model like the RGEM/4KM NAM showing rain/mix in a situation like this, as warm air has a tendency to be pesky and take awhile to mix out. Since they've done fairly decent in the past I'm sort of riding with them at this point, but hopefully they're overdoing the lingering warm layer a little. In either case I'm pretty confident in a 6"+ snow for the QCA at this point.

Yep, looking really good out there to finally break the 6"+ drought. That's a good point about the warmer air hanging on longer. Happened with the clipper last weekend. MDW started out as rain Sunday morning when no guidance was indicating that.

I'm liking 8"+ for LAF.  Gonna be 12hrs or more where the rates are very nice after 12z Sunday.

I wish I had 1/2 the confidence you do. :D Looks to be a rather tight one shaping up for here. Boom or bust.

Quite a battle there (IND) between that and the NAM.  Probably even a trickier forecast there than here.  One of the IND forecasters mentioned how I-70 so often seems to be the dividing line. 

Looks like it's the RGEM vs NAM/GFS in Indy...and here too I guess too. Hopefully we can both pull off the houdini act that IND did with 1/5/2014. 

Feeling good for 5-9" here in Lake Orion at this point, which I honestly did not think was possible even 36 hours ago. What a turn of events.

Yeah we were DAB 36 hours ago. I am thinking 4-8" right now as I am concern about dry air at the start. Ratios should be in our favor. If I can achieve 6" I would consider that a major win all things considered.

Archived