Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 31-February 2nd Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no faith in any model in and of itself esp.the NAM. Deleted my post based on others stating there was confusion with the GEM dates.

As thundersnow posted earlier, the GGEM starts off initially south of the other 0z guidance but continues moving more NE than ENE through the next few hours and ends up in SE Ohio. It also deepens the storm a bit. 

Ukie looks like a big time hit, especially for N IN/S MI/N OH.

Is it ever. It's been consistently the deepest with the surface low, actually delays the deepening some this run vs. 12z. But it occurs in prime spot to nail the areas you mentioned, and I'd argue even prolong light-moderate snows into NE IL and probably lake enhancement too. It seems like it's an outlier, but if the storm does evolve this way, blizzard conditions would be pretty likely.

solid thumper set up ....

attachicon.gifgfs_uv250_namer_7 rr.png

Impressive upper level jet coupling there, good setup for rapid deepening of the surface low, which would argue on the stronger end of guidance.

I remember RC mentioning something before the 11/17/13 outbreak about these types of systems coming in slower/stronger by verification, although I'm not quite sure if that applies in this case. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Edit, here it is:

Victor Gensini gave a somewhat unrelated talk about using PV for the placement of large scale features the LOT winter wx workshop and basically predicted that the trend with this system would be stronger/slower.

Impressive upper level jet coupling there, good setup for rapid deepening of the surface low, which would argue on the stronger end of guidance.

I remember RC mentioning something before the 11/17/13 outbreak about these types of systems coming in slower/stronger by verification, although I'm not quite sure if that applies in this case. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Edit, here it is:

Man that's something I forgot to pack into my AFD. Great jet structure. Would love to see that in action tomorrow and interested to see if UKMET is onto something being on the deepest side of guidance I think 4 runs in a row now. The track of the PV anomaly being displaced NW of the modeled sfc low track helped foretell the NW shift of the 1/4-1/5 event last year.

Archived