joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 31-February 2nd Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because there didn't look to be any sneaky warm layers above 950 mb, good forcing and wet bulbing should have a better chance to (hopefully) keep you guys as snow.

Hopefully.  If anything, it seems like temps in the low levels got a hair warmer here on Sunday morning (especially just off the deck around 950 mb), but it could very well just be noise level stuff that goes back the other way.  Then, the low levels cool a little as heavier precip moves back in.  All in all, looks like a nailbiter. 

Starting to become a little more clear that even if the N stream vort continues to trend deeper, ~0.3" of QPF could be the ceiling around here. 

Yeah, it trends deeper, but it never really even goes neutral tilt. Instead, it sort of shears under the weight of the downstream confluence. Tough to get the sfc low up to Erie, PA, where we need it.

I'm good though. 4" or 5" to push around with the shovel will make me a happy camper.

4km NAM precip type maps keep a messy rain/snow mixture here through 9-10pm tomorrow evening.  Could take a several inch bite out of totals for the QCA.  Something to watch.  Would still likely break the 6" mark.

Yea I was just about to post about that. It really holds mix precipitation around for quite some time. maybe it's not taking evaporative cooling into account as much as it should. i would think the changeover would occur before then

Just noticed the 18z RGEM precip type maps show us staying rain/mix rain and snow through 10pm tomorrow night as well.  Should have looked at things closer before making the 8-11" call.  Gonna adjust down to 5-8" as I do think rain could eat at our totals.

All cause the RGEM? I don't see you dealing with a mix or rain..

It might be close, originally I was thinking 10" is the ceiling but now starting to think 12" might be a better ceiling.

Wouldn't be surprised if there ends up being an E-W training fronto band under the ul low that dumps for hours. Really like where you sit although you always have to be wary about NAM going crazy with QPF amounts.

Yeah, it trends deeper, but it never really even goes neutral tilt. Instead, it sort of shears under the weight of the downstream confluence. Tough to get the sfc low up to Erie, PA, where we need it.

I'm good though. 4" or 5" to push around with the shovel will make me a happy camper.

Agree completely... the southward extent of that confluence zone is really the main problem around here. If we can match what we got yesterday I'm satisfied though.

Archived