• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
January 31-February 2nd Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

The Euro finally got rid of that ese jog it was trying to do here locally with the heaviest QPF. I would expect watches to at least be moved a tier of counties north locally one could argue 2 tiers even up to I 69

It's still doing the ESE sfc low movement too across MO which I don't like, I mean I'll live with it but get it to go due east and then ENE and I'd be happy. 

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's still doing the ESE sfc low movement too across MO which I don't like, I mean I'll live with it but get it to go due east and then ENE and I'd be happy. 

Yeah it is further west and not as pronounced and it swings out like the rest and lifts ENE eventually which is good.

The stronger/north trend plays well for us.  Still a transient shot, but it may mean that the band doesn't start out as far away from us as it could if, for instance, we verify NNE flow at 850 mb instead of NE.  And in fact if you look at a dProg/dt of the last 4 or 5 runs of the NAM, you see that subtle-but-not-really-that-subtle shift in wind direction at 850.  Great 850 delta T's up to ~21 C at 12-15z Mon too, which would probably be prime time for us, and of course will be better than what you'll be working with up along the WI shoreline.  Though of course lower inversion heights and aforementioned transience are limiting factors.  And the band won't get much past the LaPorte County line before drying up, so that doesn't add confidence either.

But overall I could see us getting a quick 2-4" additional snow Monday morning as it passes through and begins collapsing.

Great points, agree with those thoughts. I did notice NAM was a little colder at 850 by early Monday than the globals on the 12-18z runs, but I didn't do a direct comparison since. I think a wild card could be mesolow development which definitely adds to uncertainty with evolution of the band, though I picture a pivoting band too. 2-4" sounds reasonable. I played it pretty conservative for starters in the grids today but would think we'll be trending fairly bullish on the lake effect given the hi-res trends. I didn't think the somewhat marginal inversion heights would hurt the setup too much because the DGZ is way down low so you get strong lift through that thanks to the lake induced cape below the EL. 

As long as there's not a shift south of the heaviest synoptic band, it wouldn't shock me to see somebody approach that number as long as lake effect doesn't underperform.  So some ifs there but could see it happening if everything breaks right.

You probably almost feel like you're back east right about now?  lol

Confession: I've never actually seen 20" from a single event.  I managed to miss the best stuff in all of the 09-10 storms.  But yes, I feel like I should be checking pressure falls off Hatteras right about now!   :snowing:

That is an impressive/vigorous shortwave trough dropping through the Canadian Rockies there, with a plume of deep moisture clearly streaming in from the Eastern Pacific. Has big event written all over it.

LqY42rl.gif

Thanks for stopping by with the great analysis. Excited for this event. I'm really not seeing big red flags for Chicago proper. Saw a great post on the NYC Thread how the Pac moisture feed is actually more stout than expected with this. That was pretty evident on w/v today. Good case of the big qpf amounts in all likelihood not being out to lunch. Radar already looking impressive over the southern Plains.

Thanks for stopping by with the great analysis. Excited for this event. Saw a great post on the NYC Thread how the Pac moisture feed is actually more stout than expected with this. That was pretty evident on w/v today. Good case of the big qpf amounts in all likelihood not being out to lunch. Radar already looking impressive over the southern Plains.

Good for the S Plains drought relief too and subsequently severe season perhaps looking at things a little further down the road, although you don't want to contaminate lapse rates with that by the time spring actually rolls around.

Seems like everything continues to go relatively upwards as we get closer in. The gradient on the backside of this won't be as impressive as GHD, but as you say there could be some blizzard conditions if some of the stronger solutions verify, which wouldn't be surprising given that look on WV.

Also kind of makes me wonder what would've happened had that SW ULL ejected fully and phased with this thing.

Good for the S Plains drought relief too and subsequently severe season perhaps looking at things a little further down the road, although you don't want to contaminate lapse rates with that by the time spring actually rolls around.

Seems like everything continues to go relatively upwards as we get closer in. The gradient on the backside of this won't be as impressive as GHD, but as you say there could be some blizzard conditions if some of the stronger solutions verify, which wouldn't be surprising given that look on WV.

Yep, OT, but that's great news for chasers hopefully if NW flow doesn't lock in til May lol. The progression of this system on the guidance was pretty similar to GHD even, models "lost" it far south in d4-d5 then successively trended more N/W closer in. I think the key to attaining near blizzard conditions here will be how much the snow dries out/fluffs up in the latter stages of the event. Even without as sharp as a backside gradient, soundings were pegging gusts AOA 30 kt at the top of the mixed layer Sunday afternoon.

Archived