12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January 31-February 2nd Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding Detroits biggest snowstorms and fluff factor...thats sort of up in the air. If this event actually played out as the NAM shows, it would be unique. Once you get into the 10-12" range (which there are many) you get quite a mix of powder and wet, heavy snows, but a lean towards powder. The top ones, however, are wet snows. #1 (24.5" Apr 6, 1886) & #2 (19.3" Dec 1, 1974) were wet, heavy snows with temps in the low 30s. Now, there was a storm of 17.5" on Feb 28, 1875 that had temps in the upper teens, however back then they didnt do proper liquid equivalents (they just assumed a 10-1 ratio). In fact, DTX doesnt even count snowfall til 1880 due to some missing data in the 1870s, so that storm isnt officially on the list. Looking at old records it seems they applied 10-1 ratio to snowfall until the early 1900s. Even the Dec 18-19, 1929 storm is listed at 10-1 ratio (14.0" snow, 1.40" liquid) even though temps would say it was powderier. Not til you get to Jan 22, 2005 (12.2" snow, 0.51" liquid) do you get a noticeable fluff factor (and in THAT case, the ASOS may have underdid it a bit, although it was a very fluffy snow).

untenable = unsustainable. The storm will not sustain average SLRs in the mid to high teens. My prediction. If I'm wrong, props to the SREFs.

Man I shouldn't have drank so much last night... Just realized in my hungover fog that untenable did not mean unreachable.

I agree they may be high, but it wouldn't suprise me to see 13-15:1 for a good chunk of the storm as the cold air funnels in. Only concern is the WTOD.

12z 4km NAM is pretty juiced, more so than the 6z run for Chicago and points south

nice little convergence kink along the western shore of Lake Michigan extending up towards the UP already at 12Z on 01FEB also....not much, but could provide some added enhancement down into the metro .... and also moving forward in time obv as backing improves

post-5865-0-33504500-1422715176_thumb.gi

Man I shouldn't have drank so much last night... Just realized in my hungover fog that untenable did not mean unreachable.

I agree they may be high, but it wouldn't suprise me to see 13-15:1 for a good chunk of the storm as the cold air funnels in. Only concern is the WTOD.

DTX likes that range.

edit: and no worries. Untenable was a clumsy choice of wording on my part.

Archived