Newest Member
    joxey
January 31-February 2nd Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some other models:

HopWRF, which has axis of snow over N ILL, but too generous with snowfall amounts:

post-204-0-34031600-1422725451_thumb.png

The other is the WGN RPM Model which has the axis again further north over the IL/WI stateline, more realistic snowfall values then the hop, and nice L.E. for Lake, Cook, and Kenosha counties:

post-204-0-03544000-1422725640_thumb.png

NWS forecast says 6-9" as of right now for DTW, 9Z SREF says 12-22" (mean: 16"). That's actually a pretty tight spread for the SREF when it comes to these sorts of situations. Wow. I think DTX has been wagering on a southerly path to say the least. Will be interesting to see what they do this PM. WSW for the southern tier of 4 counties seems a safe bet at least.

NWS forecast says 6-9" as of right now for DTW, 9Z SREF says 12-22" (mean: 16"). Wow. I think DTX has been wagering on a southerly path to say the least. Will be interesting to see what they do this PM. WSW for the southern tier of 4 counties seems a safe bet at least.

WPC seems to be banking on a southerly route as well. I've noticed their maps have the 8 and 12" chance contours mostly to the south of MI. Will be interesting to see if they stick to their guns or budge them a bit north more in line with what the NAM and GFS have shown recently which is quite displaced from where their best chances for the big snows are.

NWS forecast says 6-9" as of right now for DTW, 9Z SREF says 12-22" (mean: 16"). Wow. I think DTX has been wagering on a southerly path to say the least. Will be interesting to see what they do this PM. WSW for the southern tier of 4 counties seems a safe bet at least.

I'm thinking they'll include the 3rd row of southern counties in the Warning as well, with Advisories a row of counties or 2 more of there.

PRobably will have wording for 6-10" in their headline, with 8-12" in their headline for the Ohio Border counties...

I'm thinking they'll include the 3rd row of southern counties in the Warning as well, with Advisories a row of counties or 2 more of there.

PRobably will have wording for 6-10" in their headline, with 8-12" in their headline for the Ohio Border counties...

Sounds about right to me. I think they forecasted 6-10" when the Super Clipper hit too. That almost always is the higher-end of what they forecast (and usually they're right) except for on GHD when they were saying 10-15". That was the most I've ever seen them put in a warning outside of the blizzard of 1999.

4 rows with warning, maybe not far western part of the state.

Sad thing is, I'll miss the whole storm. I'm in the UP, 3 feet in Paradise right now.

Archived