• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 31-February 2nd Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

One thing I noticed (as far as the 21z SREF) is that the OP NAM on it showed about 17" of snow at DTW (which is what we saw on the 06z NAM), while the 03z SREFs showed about 14" of snow at DTW (which is what we saw on the 12z NAM).

Meanwhile, the OP NAM on the 09z SREF for DTW is the 2nd highest member with 20.1" (BTW, the lowest member for DTW is 11.6")

But just an observation. IF what I observed about the previous SREFs and the previous OP NAM's runs continues to be the case, the 18z NAM should be real nice for Detroit...

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy **** to the GFS.

I will say this...this storm has huge potential with it. It should snow light to moderately ALL day tomorrow, but then after many hours of snow, the heaviest burst looks to be in the storms final hours as the L passes to our south, which could REALLY add on the totals. I am supposed to start a new job at Allstate in Farmington Hills Monday, and I may literally be snowed in lol.

Peak snow depth last winter at DTW was 20"...currently, we have 3" on the ground....just an fyi, Detroit has never seen consecutive winters with 16"+ depth. (most we have had is consecutive with 15"+ depth).

The GFS has me concerned from an impact perspective tomorrow with everyone on the roads driving to Superbowl parties. This is getting close to blizzard conditions on this run.

Sent from my SM-G900V

Maybe the UKMET wasn't so far fetched after all?

The 12z UKMET and ECMWF runs will be interesting.

The GFS has me concerned from an impact perspective tomorrow with everyone on the roads driving to Superbowl parties. This is getting close to blizzard conditions on this run.

Sent from my SM-G900V

Izzi was correctly conservative this morning with the 12z runs gotta believe snowfall amounts will be increased.

The GFS has me concerned from an impact perspective tomorrow with everyone on the roads driving to Superbowl parties. This is getting close to blizzard conditions on this run. Sent from my SM-G900V

This pretty much goes for anyone getting 10"+ this round. Winds will be picking Sunday afternoon+evening, with gusts in the 35mph range for many. Starting to wonder if we'll see any blizzard warnings during the brunt of this event.

Northern edge not so sharp on the GFS. Gives Toronto 6-7"; will take what I can get this winter! Amounts still seem a bit high to me for the GTA, though.

All depends on ratios. If were talking 15:1 which seems most likely then the 12z GFS is showing ~4-6" for the GTA. I am more than happy with that... especially since we get a taste of the true CCB band.

This pretty much goes for anyone getting 10"+ this round. Winds will be picking Sunday afternoon+evening, with gusts in the 35mph range for many. Starting to wonder if we'll see any blizzard warnings during the brunt of this event.

*IF* the observational trends and rest of 12z guidance support the GFS, certainly is possible.

I am thinking the 12" drought here ends with this storm. originally I was thinking 9-12" locally from the city south. However, now I think this is in the 11-14" range for the entire metro. This would have to have some sort of prolific shift north or south for us not to realize a huge snowfall here.

Archived