joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 31-February 2nd Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am thinking the 12" drought here ends with this storm. originally I was thinking 9-12" locally from the city south. However, now I think this is in the 11-14" range for the entire metro. This would have to have some sort of prolific shift north or south for us not to realize a huge snowfall here.

When was your last 12" storm?

Toronto has had two 12" storms in the past 8 years IIRC? 

Wow!! to think this system could get even deeper.... Its allredy on the upper echelon on the snow charts. Impressive

I mentioned before how funny it would be if, on the anniversary of GHD 2011, DEtroit gets redemption for the GHD 2011 screw job (via. this storm).

We're slowly getting closer and closer to that with each consecutive suite of model runs...

Holy **** to the GFS.

I will say this...this storm has huge potential with it. It should snow light to moderately ALL day tomorrow, but then after many hours of snow, the heaviest burst looks to be in the storms final hours as the L passes to our south, which could REALLY add on the totals. I am supposed to start a new job at Allstate in Farmington Hills Monday, and I may literally be snowed in lol.

Peak snow depth last winter at DTW was 20"...currently, we have 3" on the ground....just an fyi, Detroit has never seen consecutive winters with 16"+ depth. (most we have had is consecutive with 15"+ depth).

Wow. I've had more than that every winter I've been here...except maybe the awful winter of 11-12.

just to post an image for any that are mobile this weekend and can't see....

via the 12Z GFS....

attachicon.gifgfs_mslp_wind_ncus_7 wind.png

I would be so ticked if I lived on a houseboat under that little circle of green.... :P

I am thinking the 12" drought here ends with this storm. originally I was thinking 9-12" locally from the city south. However, now I think this is in the 11-14" range for the entire metro. This would have to have some sort of prolific shift north or south for us not to realize a huge snowfall here.

12" wasnt so long ago...it would be REALLY nice if the 13"+ drought ends lol

When was your last 12" storm?

Toronto has had two 12" storms in the past 8 years IIRC? 

12.2" Jan 22, 2005.

However as Im sure youve heard it discussed here a million times lol, Detroit has no problem getting 10-12" storms, its getting over that 13"+ hump. OFFICIALLY that has not happened since 19.3" fell Dec 1/2, 1974 (naturally there have been numerous storms where DTW picked up 10-11" that burbs had 13-14"+)

12.2" Jan 22, 2005.

However as Im sure youve heard it discussed here a million times lol, Detroit has no problem getting 10-12" storms, its getting over that 13"+ hump. OFFICIALLY that has not happened since 19.3" fell Dec 1/2, 1974 (naturally there have been numerous storms where DTW picked up 10-11" that burbs had 13-14"+)

At the end of the day, you're right. Obsessing about these numbers are stupid. If you get a nice dumping of snow, with cold, wind, drifts, near blizzard conditions, you're set. Regardless about what the F6 data says. 

I wonder if any of the midwest forecast regions are nervous to pull the trigger on a blizzard warning given the bust-a-palooza for NYC. Then again, more models are in agreement for this event.. IIRC only the Euro and maybe the inconsistent NAM were showing those NYC amounts?

I will tell ya that if anyone is gonna get blizzard conditions, it will be here at IWX. We have definitely been throwing around the wording. The concern isn't as much because of NYC as it is winds. It is extrememly difficult to get true blizzard criteria in this portion of the country. We will continue to nowcast for this event and if the surface low trends deeper, don't be surprised to see us throw one one. 

12.2" Jan 22, 2005.

Wow, for some reason I thought DTW went over 12" for that January 6(?), 2014 system.

Sounds like Detroit's 10-12" "no problem" dumps are like YYZ's 8" dumps... which are almost always forecasted as 4"

Since I have been keeping track imby since 1995, I have had the following double-digit storms:

12.0" - Jan 2/3, 1999 (*note this was probably underestimated, but I have no time machine to do it over lol)

11.6" - Dec 31, 2013-Jan 2, 2014 (*note if you include round 1 its 13.0" over 60 hours lol)

11.5" - Feb 22/23, 2003

11.0" - Jan 22, 2005

10.3" - Jan 5/6, 2014

10.3" - Mar 4/5, 2008

10.2" - Feb 20/21, 2011

10.1" - Feb 1/2, 2011

Also an est 11-12" in grayling Mar 3, 2012.

So if we are going to do it, lets not just dance right around 12" again. Lets go over the hump with it. And if ANY storm has the potential, its this one, as there will probably be 20 hours of continuous snow before the L passes to our south creating even heavier snow. Bring it on :)

I will tell ya that if anyone is gonna get blizzard conditions, it will be here at IWX. We have definitely been throwing around the wording. The concern isn't as much because of NYC as it is winds. It is extrememly difficult to get true blizzard criteria in this portion of the country. We will continue to nowcast for this event and if the surface low trends deeper, don't be surprised to see us throw one one. 

Great to have the IWX folks on this forum. Appreciate the insights. 

Archived