• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 31-February 2nd Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

HRW-NMM coming in wet as you would expect.  This is only through 47hrs.

hrw-nmm_conus_047_precip_p36.gif

I'm interested to see the ARW. It's precip parameterization is much more realistic in most scenarios (def not in lake effect though). The NMM uses the exact same scheme that the NAM uses, hence it always going bananas with QPF.

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Chicago this week from Buffalo. Looks like a fortunate time to visit. The synoptic storm looks good, but could someone give me an LES primer for Lake Michigan N/NE flow events? What headings result in what banding structures, and where do bands tend to set up? How far north along the western shoreline does LES fall?

In Chicago this week from Buffalo. Looks like a fortunate time to visit. The synoptic storm looks good, but could someone give me an LES primer for Lake Michigan N/NE flow events? What headings result in what banding structures, and where do bands tend to set up? How far north along the western shoreline does LES fall?

9 out of 10 times...including this time....the plume will be transient as synoptic moves off to the east.  But it can provide a nice little thump along the Chicago shoreline as they pick some bonus hours in the axis of the pivot.  As far as the enhancement goes....you will know when it's working into the synoptic as dendrites start to improve quite a bit...

NNE/NE is best...for the main plume you will see it start to appear prolly around Milwaukee as the synoptics start moving out and it will slide down the shore

9 out of 10 times...including this time....the plume will be transient as synoptic moves off to the east. But it can provide a nice little thump along the Chicago shoreline as they pick some bonus hours in the axis of the pivot. As far as the enhancement goes....you will know when it's working into the synoptic as dendrites start to improve quite a bit...

NNE/NE is best...for the main plume you will see it start to appear prolly around Milwaukee as the synoptics start moving out and it will slide down the shore

Nice, thank you! I am excited for this.

Makes sense with the juicy qpf output, but Euro again has a great track of the 850 mb low for significant snows from eastern IA-nrn IL-nrn IN-srn MI-nrn OH corridor. Based on progged placement of the h8 low at 00z Sunday evening right near CMI, I'd argue that decent defo snows might be able to hang a little longer than the model is even suggesting for NE IL/NW IN (outside of lake effect). The Euro has a really nice trowal look at h7 with the dry slot wrapping from southern IL at 00z to near CVG at 06z Sunday night. 

1.4 making an appearance from La Salle county to IKK...impressive stuff.

I tremble to even type it, but with the continuing wet trend, a little push north of the axis of heaviest synoptic snow into the LES belt, and a little help from ratios, could be some 20" totals come Monday afternoon.

That would be nothing short of amazing.

I tremble to even type it, but with the continuing wet trend, a little push north of the axis of heaviest synoptic snow into the LES belt, and a little help from ratios, could be some 20" totals come Monday afternoon.

Even it's a little overdone with qpf, you're looking primed there. What's your take on the lake effect? 

Edit: If you posted something earlier, I missed it. 

As long as there's not a shift south of the heaviest synoptic band, it wouldn't shock me to see somebody approach that number as long as lake effect doesn't underperform.  So some ifs there but could see it happening if everything breaks right.

You probably almost feel like you're back east right about now?  lol

Even it's a little overdone with qpf, you're looking primed there. What's your take on the lake effect? 

Edit: If you posted something earlier, I missed it. 

The stronger/north trend plays well for us.  Still a transient shot, but it may mean that the band doesn't start out as far away from us as it could if, for instance, we verify NNE flow at 850 mb instead of NE.  And in fact if you look at a dProg/dt of the last 4 or 5 runs of the NAM, you see that subtle-but-not-really-that-subtle shift in wind direction at 850.  Great 850 delta T's up to ~21 C at 12-15z Mon too, which would probably be prime time for us, and of course will be better than what you'll be working with up along the WI shoreline.  Though of course lower inversion heights and aforementioned transience are limiting factors.  And the band won't get much past the LaPorte County line before drying up, so that doesn't add confidence either.

But overall I could see us getting a quick 2-4" additional snow Monday morning as it passes through and begins collapsing.

Archived