joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 31-February 2nd Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been pretty busy today up until a short while ago.  Was real nice to come home and read 15+ pages on a storm again from the day.  Been awhile.

I believe the Air Force method is related to the slant-stick method.   :lmao:

Very pumped about this storm.  I'm all in and going with 8-11" for here.  May have a very brief mix at onset, but would be very brief if it even happens.  Love the long duration of this event.   :snowing:

Looking forward to your updated sig on Monday!

I have to say, I'm also liking my lake-effect chances here more with these more amplified solutions even though areas west are still favored overall.

It's a transient hit, but by the time any potential band gets over here around 12z Monday, the thermodynamic environment is pretty good for a few hours there until inversion heights start tanking around 18z.  We get an 850 delta T of ~21 C for a few hours there even, so whatever gets cranking by that point could be dropping some legit snow. 

If we think roughly 2-3"/hr rates in the band (and that of course could end up conservative, especially considering we'd be getting 20:1 ratios by that point), even with the band only sitting over an area for one to three hours, there could be some impressive bonus snow Monday.

This is the 18z Nam idea based on the Kuchera method, I believe it to be a average of the 84 period, but it will give you a idea.  Find the forecast soundings for when ratios will lower or higher at any given time.

CONUS1_MESO-NAM212_SFC_ACCUM-SNOW-KUCHER

The average snow ratio for whole 84 hour period!? Wtf! Oh well, it's not like the temperature or moisture field can change in a span of 4 days.

Seriously, a snowstorm that happens Ina borderline scenario is going to get mapped out as having 20:1 ratios because the next 4 days are cold, so that's how the average comes out. If you're right about that, then those maps shouldn't even be produced.

The average snow ratio for whole 84 hour period!? Wtf! Oh well, it's not like the temperature or moisture field can change in a span of 4 days.

Seriously, a snowstorm that happens Ina borderline scenario is going to get mapped out as having 20:1 ratios because the next 4 days are cold, so that's how the average comes out. If you're right about that, then those maps shouldn't even be produced.

I hope your anger is not pointed to me,. It's a tool, use it as such.  if temps are warmer at the start of the period than at the end of the period, than you obviously need to make adjustments, as I mentioned use the soundings

I hope your anger is not pointed to me,. It's a tool, use it as such.  if temps are warmer at the start of the period than at the end of the period, than you obviously need to make adjustments, as I mentioned use the soundings

Not at all. I was just surprised by the method. It is crazy. Sorry, didn't mean to make it like I was yelling at you. More like shaking my fist in the air and yelling at nobody in particular :)

Archived