• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Post-Super Bowl Storm chance discussion

rossi

On SV I see a stripe of 6-8" over North Central NJ but it's probably a bit more than that given how cold temps will be. 850mb temps are -12C to -16C from CNJ North. 0.50"+ LE up to Sussex. Perhaps 15:1 ratios, maybe even a bit higher?

Isnt that about the perfect temp at 850mb for best snow growth? Or is the best snow growth region not at the 850mb level? Always interested exactly how ratios are calculated.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isnt that about the perfect temp at 850mb for best snow growth? Or is the best snow growth region not at the 850mb level? Always interested exactly how ratios are calculated.

Yeah I don't know the exact numbers but I beleive that's pretty close to optimal. There are other factors involved. Dew points are in the teens north of I-80. There is definitly going to be dry air to fight on the North end and if any type of deformation band sets up over CNJ you might see a very sharp cutoff North of there.

Yeah I don't know the exact numbers but I beleive that's pretty close to optimal. There are other factors involved. Dew points are in the teens north of I-80. There is definitly going to be dry air to fight on the North end and if any type of deformation band sets up over CNJ you might see a very sharp cutoff North of there.

Nothing wrong with 4-6 inches. Can't be in the eye of the tiger everytime.

Congrats central & south New Jersey

For the most part the most important level is about h7 and ideal temps for snow growth is -10C or so

Going to be interesting to see what wording Upton uses in their zones forecast this afternoon after dropping the "moderate accumulation" from their forecast earlier

Also seems kind of weird that the Euro and GEFS amped up while the previous amped up GGEM slides totally south of us - anyone have an explanation for that ?

Reminds me of some of last winters high ratio snows on the edge of the Arctic fronts.

The GFS MOS Has NYC near 10 the next morning.

Arctic waves do favor the coast . But I still think .5 can get far back W and at 15 to 1 , I don't think many miss this .

But I like .75 at 15 to 1 . Think that's a fair blend

Going to be interesting to see what wording Upton uses in their zones forecast this afternoon after dropping the "moderate accumulation" from their forecast earlier

Also seems kind of weird that the Euro and GEFS amped up while the previous amped up GGEM slides totally south of us - anyone have an explanation for that ?

It's the GGEM. 

Arctic waves do favor the coast . But I still think .5 can get far back W and at 15 to 1 , I don't think many miss this .

A slightly faster neutral to negative tilt in later runs and closer to the coast low  could boost the QPF with those great ratios. By the way, did you check out the great ratios the other day at Islip esp on front end.

26  28  23  26  -4  39   0 0.19  7.5   27  24  17  21 -10  44   0 1.44 17.4   

That is 12 + inches of snow - if that verifies it is NYC's 37th storm above 12 inches

Archived