• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Post-Super Bowl Storm chance discussion

rossi

The models have yet to show much run to run consistency and it's becoming apparent that this area will once again be on the edge of significant precip. Both reasons to be conservative.

100% agree, also remember how these systems generally trend.. I'm not biting on anything more than 2-4 for the city - that doesnt mean I'm saying it wont happen but will definitely need to see more consistency in guidance - my thoughts remain the same post 12Z GFS...

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For anyone north of I-80, taking the 12z GFS verbatim, we're going to want to be very cautious with qpf amounts. While it shows a 2-4" type event for those areas, I'd be much more inclined to expect nothing more than a dusting... Forecasted highs on LI are in the low 20's, on Monday, which indicates there will be plenty of very cold and dry air in the metro area, and consequently a very sharp cutoff in amounts just to the north of the best dynamics/lift.

We need the low to come much further north to be confident in at least a moderate hit for most of our area...

The GFS came in a nose better than I thought it would for sure, I think we can hold some hope in seasonal trends to save us, thus far this winter, the PV has tended not to drop as far south as modeled and the Atlantic ridge has been stronger, if either of those 2 come to fruition again we may be in business.

For anyone north if I-80, taking the 12z GFS verbatim, we're going to want to be very cautious with qpf amounts. While it shows a 2-4" type event for those areas, I'd be much more inclined to expect nothing more than a dusting... Forecasted highs on LI are in the low 20's, on Monday, which indicates there will be plenty of very cold and dry air in the metro area, and consequently a very sharp cutoff in amounts just to the north of the best dynamics/lift.

Most of which I'm betting will fall as virga with that amount of cold dry air

For anyone north if I-80, taking the 12z GFS verbatim, we're going to want to be very cautious with qpf amounts. While it shows a 2-4" type event for those areas, I'd be much more inclined to expect nothing more than a dusting... Forecasted highs on LI are in the low 20's, on Monday, which indicates there will be plenty of very cold and dry air in the metro area, and consequently a very sharp cutoff in amounts just to the north of the best dynamics/lift.

I still think it's too far out to really "expect" anything. 

And highs in the low 20s on Monday is irrelevant, IMO - there have been plenty of storms (including many last winter) with thermal profiles as cold - or colder - than modeled here.  Agree about the sharp northern cutoff, though. 

The GGEM has been different since its upgrade, used to be able to know when it was flat you were screwed because it usually was juiced up, but its been less predictable since.  The Philly/NJ folk are gonna lose it if this storm screws them, because so far we've had a good DC only clipper, a Boston only blizzard, and NYC east have gotten in on this past event and a couple of the clippers, they'd really be left in the dust

I still think it's too far out to really "expect" anything. 

And highs in the low 20s on Monday is irrelevant, IMO - there have been plenty of storms (including many last winter) with thermal profiles as cold - or colder - than modeled here.  Agree about the sharp northern cutoff, though. 

I'm not making a forecast -- just saying to be cognizant that the12z GFS verbatim is deceivingly robust for our area, in terms of qpf, based on this setup and low track...

Agreed I don't see the PV staying far enough North to give us anything but a scrapper at best.. And for me up here I doubt I see a flake.. The clippers gonna be my "big" event lol

I'll echo CoastalWX's thoughts over in the SNE thread, I don't think it looks that bad, the PV is not elongated N-S at all and the setup at 500 up over Canada does not appear overly suppressive.

Pls stop with the dumb it's over posts . This is going to be a very high ratio event . You are going to be very cold in the snow growth region.

If you get .5 someone may get 8 inches of snow.

FYI this is a tick away from doubling that. So calm down

Pls stop with the dumb it's over posts . This is going to be a very high ratio event . You are going to be very cold in the snow growth region.

If you get .5 someone may get 8 inches of snow.

FYI this is a tick away from doubling that. So calm down

No one said "it's over" lol I was analyzing what I saw verbatim on the GFS, and now the GGEM agrees... For my areas snow growth doesn't really matter when I'm sitting at < .10 with this storm on the current GFS..it's obviously far from over but I'm not gonna ignor a slight trend. The trend is South as of now and until I see otherwise that's how I'll focus my thoughts

People really gotta stop attacking others when they say anything that might contradict 100 feet of snow in their backyard...the GFS and GGEM were the ones that were on board with this event for us up here... Now they're drawing a southern conclusion.. Nothing in that statement is biased or false, it's the truth... I'm not saying it can't change cause it absolutely can. But to suggest it def WILL change is what's really biased... Be subjective and wait till Saturday to see what models say

Something else I noticed, most of the modeling has completely trended away from a partial phase over the southwest. When that was occuring it was helping to tug the entire jet orientation further southwest.

Look at the 1/28/15 00z GFS run

gfs_z500_vort_us_21.png

And now today's 12z GFS valid for the same period.

gfs_z500_vort_us_15.png

Archived