• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Post-Super Bowl Storm chance discussion

rossi

Dude, we were classmates. Form your CV I don't think you spent a lot of time in Shakespeare or Abnormal psych classes tho.

I almost majored in English, as I always loved literature and writing (took a few English electives) - my other choice was meteorology, but I went for chem eng'g. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I almost majored in English, as I always loved literature and writing (took a few English electives) - my other choice was meteorology, but I went for chem eng'g. 

I did major in English. Regret it to this day,though I made a living writing for awhile. hard sciences were out of the question, I am math disabled. I think we are in for a sleet fest from what I am reading here. Seems like one of those years we can't get it going in these parts snowise.

Nam is colder and wetter. 2m never leaves northern monmouth county and 850s about to nyc, all snow and a little sleet nyc. And a lot of snow

If the winds stay northerly or maybe even easterly, no way will there be any rain. The airmass at the surface is just too cold. The changes to rain on some guidance are predicated on a wind shift to ESE. 

Ya know, when I was a kid, 8-10 inches as depicted on the NWS map for my area, would have been considered a huge event in the early to mid 70's. We have become spoiled over the last 20 years.

I well remember that after the "Mayor Lindsay" storm we had about 6" for 1/1/1973, and 10" for a one-shot storm in the 1974-5 craphole of a winter. Then we had 1977-8, which was spectacular and 1978-9, which featured PD 1. Then 4/6/1982 and Megalopolis, one in January 1987 and that was pretty much it (maybe I'm leaving off one or two) until March 1993. Things at least were good every few winters until the millenium, since which time we've been spoiled.

I wish people would stop calling it the rain snow line when discussing the 850s. The surface is going to be below freezing for most so it's really an snow/ice line with this storm

Sent from my iPhone

Have to disagree as I think the south shore of LI could very well see a cold rain possibly. Perhaps not for an extended period but it has happened before in these situations. And with this storm and its tight gradient you could very well see a very narrow line from snow to rain.

Call this one the kitchen sink storm, every type of precip likely, 4-7 inches snow eventually at either end, ice pellets may be a large player as shallow freezing layers remain in place ... trend to 10-15 inches snow in Albany so larger amounts going north up Hudson valley ... freezing rain potential parts of n/c NJ, southern metro NYC and parts of LI.

very icy roads by end of storm with rapidly falling temps and freeze-thaw cycle ending.

this seems likely to be a higher impact storm than the busted blizzard even if snowfall amounts are similar or lower in case of LI.

I love that map. I think upton is right on the money. Front end dump gets everyone well ala 2014

Middlesex County, once again, is not handled well.  How can you have WSWatches to my west in Somerset and east in Staten Island and have 6" or more forecast for 2/3 of the county and not have a WSWatch up?  I'm just about in their 8-10" swath across the northern part of the county. 

Have no idea if this map will post correctly as I often see old maps post despite pasting the correct map...

Just remembered I posted this, this morning - good to see the NWS came around and added Middlesex County to the WS Watch, although they also lowered snowfall amounts at 4 pm vs 4 am by about 1-2" across the board.  We look to really have a very steep gradient possible, from 1-2" to 4-6" (where I am) across the county.  Unless the GFS verifies and we get mostly rain, lol...

850 guidance 

near real time

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/viewsector.php?sector=16&parm=thck&underlay=1&source=1

I will follow the Critical Thickness (850's) all day

real time ATM may be a touch south of the NAM prog

it may be a bit early in the game to trust it

but I would keep my eyes on this 

such a close call for many in the region 

WPC track- frame 1

SPC  MSLP location- frame 2 (rap forecast)

SPC Critical Thickness-NAM comp-frame 3

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/lowtracks/lowtrack_ensembles.gif

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/s16/thck/thck.gif?1422788878924

http://climate.cod.edu/data/forecast/NAM/06/NE/namNE_prec_cthk_021.gif

When there's 300-400 people viewing that want PBPs it's easier then mixing model talk with storm discussion

Disagree.  One thread would be better.  Regardless, just posted this in the model thread and thought it would be relevant here...

Went to bed after the Euro and assumed I'd wake up to many of the watches being dropped and much lower snowfall forecasts, especially for Central Jersey.  Wrong.  All the same counties are now under winter storm warnings, including Middlesex, where my snow fall forecast was actually increased a bit - although the gradient is even steeper, from 1=2" in the southern edge of the county to 6-8" in the northern quarter of the county (N of 287, which is east - west in our area), where I live.  That's a very steep gradient over about 30 miles.  Here's the relevant portion of the AFD and the latest map:

THE PRECIPITATION TYPE FORECAST IS MAINLY DERIVED

FROM THE 00Z NAM. THE 00Z GFS LOOKED TO HAVE TO INTENSE OF A LOW

PRESSURE SYSTEM WHICH IN TURN ALLOWS FOR MORE WARM AIR ADVECTION.

THE ECMWF IS STILL ON THE COOLER END OF THE SPECTRUM WITH THE NAM IN

BETWEEN THESE SOLUTIONS. THE SREF AND WPC QPF FORECAST WAS USED AS

WELL WITH GOOD MODEL AGREEMENT ON QPF IN THIS PERIOD. THIS RESULTS

IN ADDITIONAL SNOW AND ICE ACCUMULATIONS FOR NORTHERN PARTS OF THE

CWA IN THIS PERIOD.

StormTotalSnowRange.png

Archived