wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Post-Super Bowl Storm chance discussion

rossi

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Middlesex County, once again, is not handled well.  How can you have WSWatches to my west in Somerset and east in Staten Island and have 6" or more forecast for 2/3 of the county and not have a WSWatch up?  I'm just about in their 8-10" swath across the northern part of the county. 

Have no idea if this map will post correctly as I often see old maps post despite pasting the correct map...

StormTotalSnowRange.png

Middlesex County, once again, is not handled well.  How can you have WSWatches to my west in Somerset and east in Staten Island and have 6" or more forecast for 2/3 of the county and not have a WSWatch up?  I'm just about in their 8-10" swath across the northern part of the county. 

Have no idea if this map will post correctly as I often see old maps post despite pasting the correct map...

StormTotalSnowRange.png

Where do you find this map.  I know there is a link at noaa site, but I cant remember how to get it

I was a sophomore at Rutgers in New Brunswick and we got a foot of snow, with no changeover to rain, so the changeover line would've been to the south of the Raritan, at least.  Was an amazing heavy, wet snow - I remember we had massive snowball fight with dorms from both sides of George Street firing snowballs at each other across that street and any car going by got hammered from both sides. 

You are 100% correct and I am 100% wrong because I sort of forgot for a second where Long Branch is on the Jersey shore relative to 40 N...the correct line would be a Philly / Toms River line. 

Where do you find this map.  I know there is a link at noaa site, but I cant remember how to get it

They hide it well on their winter weather page.  I've emailed them to suggest they put a highly visible map/link right next to the CWA map, like they used to have, but they declined. 

http://www.weather.gov/phi/winter

I was a sophomore at Rutgers in New Brunswick and we got a foot of snow, with no changeover to rain, so the changeover line would've been to the south of the Raritan, at least.  Was an amazing heavy, wet snow - I remember we had massive snowball fight with dorms from both sides of George Street firing snowballs at each other across that street and any car going by got hammered from both sides. 

Dude, we were classmates. Form your CV I don't think you spent a lot of time in Shakespeare or Abnormal psych classes tho.

http://climate.cod.edu/flanis/satellite/hemi/index.php?type=n_pacific-ir-48

hard core weenie loop of the day

tip: slow down the loop speed

use color enhancement from menu options

watch our shortwave for this system

break off from the monster PAC storm

it dives down and in

this is the spark plug for our storm

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/archiveviewer.php?sector=19&parm=epvl

We know it's not actual rain, product of habit to write r/s

We know it's not actual rain, product of habit to write r/s

Wouldn't it be mostly sleet when it mixes with this kind of setup? Kind of a front end thump, some periods of sleet and back to snow? That's a profile I have seen often in these parts ( central NJ SI western SI area )

http://climate.cod.edu/flanis/satellite/hemi/index.php?type=n_pacific-ir-48

hard core weenie loop of the day

tip: slow down the loop speed

use color enhancement from menu options

watch our shortwave for this system

break off from the monster PAC storm

it dives down and in

attachicon.gifsw.gif

DM, love the graphics. Don't know how to read em, but they always look impressive. Always liked your avatars too.

Wow srefs only give NYC a couple of inches of snow. Not a good sign. Hope I am wrong

Why is that a bad sign? Listen I'm not going to hump the colder/snowier solutions but can we stop worrying about what the nam or sref's say? They are our worst guidance...it's really not debatable. Use a Gfs/euro/ggem compromise.

Why is that a bad sign? Listen I'm not going to hump the colder/snowier solutions but can we stop worrying about what the nam or sref's say? They are our worst guidance...it's really not debatable. Use a Gfs/euro/ggem compromise.

true, but... SREF's had consistently been between 5-6" for the last 3 runs... now down to 2 with very few members showing more than 2"...

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/fplumes/index2_means.php?YMD=20150131&RT=09&PRM=Total-SNO&SID=LGA&INC=ALL&NNC=&max=&min=&mZOOM=4&mLAT=37.77478874678&mLON=-96.042896875&mTYP=roadmap

its all about recognizing trends.. and knowing which ones to jump on..

true, but... SREF's had consistently been between 5-6" for the last 3 runs... now down to 2 with very few members showing more than 2"...

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/fplumes/index2_means.php?YMD=20150131&RT=09&PRM=Total-SNO&SID=LGA&INC=ALL&NNC=&max=&min=&mZOOM=4&mLAT=37.77478874678&mLON=-96.042896875&mTYP=roadmap

its all about recognizing trends.. and knowing which ones to jump on..

Oh I know how to recognize trends, I just know to ignore the nam/sref combo.

Teleconnections and the Upcoming Storm...

Currently, the AO is -0.631 and the PNA is -0.647. An AO-/PNA- setup is forecast for the onset of the 2/1-2 storm.

For the February 1-15, 1950-2014 period, there were 31 storms that brought 4" or more snow to NYC. The following statistics apply to AO-/PNA- setups:

4"-8" Snowstorms: 44%

> 8" Snowstorms: 15%

12" or more Snowstorms: 11% (1 storm, the February 1969 Lindsay Storm)

In sum, the current teleconnections suggest that a blockbuster snowstorm is probably unlikely for the New York City area. Instead, a lesser storm, probably with some mixing, would be more likely. Should the AO dive or the PNA rise, odds of a larger snowfall could increase, but the time available for such an outcome is short.

Archived