6Z runs 48hr 2m temp comp 

GFS

Nam

Rgem

let the mets tell you what time to switch to the meso models

Upton increased snow progs at 3:00 am

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/stormtotalprecip.php

WPC's rain/snow line prog for Monday 7:00am

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/basicwx/bawx_nav.php?imgtyp=ndfd&arrval=6&vtime=Mon_12Z&ptime=Mon_00Z&ntime=

2m.gif

6Z runs 48hr 2m temp comp

GFS

Nam

Rgem

let the mets tell you what time to switch to the meso models

Upton increased snow progs at 3:00 am

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/stormtotalprecip.php

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

WPC's rain/snow line prog for Monday 7:00am

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/basicwx/bawx_nav.php?imgtyp=ndfd&arrval=6&vtime=Mon_12Z&ptime=Mon_00Z&ntime=

The increase is likely because they think the models may be underestimating the cold...

I think this storm will bear great similarity to the one on April 6, 1982. That event, when the barometer began to fall over Utah on Sunday night, 4 April...and the storm quickly intensified...snow amounts in the 10 inch range for Chicago & Detroit...and a very sharp cutoff with rain v snow...with 4/6/1982...very little snow fell south of 40 N...roughly from Philadelphia over to Long Branch. However, for northern NJ, NYC, & LI...it was generally 8 to 12 inches of snow.

I remeber that one well, Pamela. I was 14 at the time and we had close to 12" in Allentown. I think that was opening day of baseball season and a lot of games were cancelled.

Yes, it was opening day at the Yankee Stadium and the game was cancelled.

I remeber that one well, Pamela. I was 14 at the time and we had close to 12" in Allentown. I think that was opening day of baseball season and a lot of games were cancelled.

Quite a bit of thunder & lightning that day and sooo cold...temps in the mid 20's on an April afternoon. A blizzard warning was in fact issued by NYC NWS. After the storm, temperatures in parts of Michigan fell as low as the teens below zero.

Quite a bit of thunder & lightning that day and sooo cold...temps in the mid 20's on an April afternoon. A blizzard warning was in fact issues by NYC NWS. After the storm, temperatures in parts of Michigan fell as low as the teens below zero.

Thinking back, I don't think we had any thunder with that one, but we did have heavy snow for a good part of the afternoon that day. The following morning, I think we dipped into the low single digits, which was quite impressive for the time of year.

Edited...I stand corrected. Low temp on 4/17/82 was 16 degrees at Allentown. We did get 11.4" out of the storm, so my snow number was close!

http://www.weather.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=phi

1982-04-06 39 18  11.4

1982-04-07 31 16  0.0

Quite a bit of thunder & lightning that day and sooo cold...temps in the mid 20's on an April afternoon. A blizzard warning was in fact issues by NYC NWS. After the storm, temperatures in parts of Michigan fell as low as the teens below zero.

I recorded a low temp of 17 at my station following that storm, lowest I've seen in April.

I think this storm will bear great similarity to the one on April 6, 1982. That event, when the barometer began to fall over Utah on Sunday night, 4 April...and the storm quickly intensified...snow amounts in the 10 inch range for Chicago & Detroit...and a very sharp cutoff with rain v snow...with 4/6/1982...very little snow fell south of 40 N...roughly from Philadelphia over to Long Branch. However, for northern NJ, NYC, & LI...it was generally 8 to 12 inches of snow.

The 09-21Z period Monday is somewhat similar in how the low redevelopment happens, I don't know if this closes off enough, but I have been watching the 14-21Z period for possible backlash snows here, the GEM and UKMET might be more indicative of it than the GFS/NAM/Euro are.

I recorded a low temp of 17 at my station following that storm, lowest I've seen in April.

The Park fell to 21 F the next morning.

The 09-21Z period Monday is somewhat similar in how the low redevelopment happens, I don't know if this closes off enough, but I have been watching the 14-21Z period for possible backlash snows here, the GEM and UKMET might be more indicative of it than the GFS/NAM/Euro are.

Weather reports were spotty in those days; but local newspapers did indicate unofficial totals of 15 inches over the East End and snow lingering out there well after sunset Tuesday...the storm was huge off to the northeast...

Here is what I have now for NYC, -SN 03-06Z, SN/+SN 07-10Z, PL 10-13Z, -SN/SN 14-21Z. I think about 3-4 inches on the front end, not a clue on the back end, if this really closes quickly we could see another 2-4 inches.

Agreed with this for now though this keeps ticking north and the mid levels continue to show more warmth. Unsure if dynamic cooling will overcome the mid levels or not at this point. Gonna be close as it stands now....if 12z ticks any farther n or warmer then all bets are off.

The CAD is so strong with this storm that the 0z Euro only has the surface freezing

line as far north Ocean Co NJ 18z Monday with 850 mb 0 only briefly to the 

LI South Shore. This would allow some icing and or rimming of flakes for a few

hours at best wherever this zone actually verifies. But 850's quickly collapse

south as the low deepens offshore after 18z.

WINS 1010 , at the time, called that storm life threatening and we had thunder snow with it. I even remember a beautiful pic. Of the 1 train by Yankee stadium showing whit pavement , even at that late a date climatelogically

Hey guys good morning down  here in fla. i left new york with grass showing and coming back to a significant snowcover and frigid temps .This next event coming up hopefully will not have significant ice accumilation i am flying in tuesday ouch.Good luck on the storm track you know ma nature throws curveballs but the trend is your friend .see ya

I was a sophomore at Rutgers in New Brunswick and we got a foot of snow, with no changeover to rain, so the changeover line would've been to the south of the Raritan, at least.  Was an amazing heavy, wet snow - I remember we had massive snowball fight with dorms from both sides of George Street firing snowballs at each other across that street and any car going by got hammered from both sides. 

Archived