• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 26-28 Blizzard Observations/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

Well, I've lost interest in meteorology due to this storm. It's probably for the best since I am incompetent would never have gotten a good job in the field anyway with my worthless diploma from Western Connecticut State University. Ended up with 5.6" via the snowboard here but I think a little blew off so probably more like 6 or 6.5". The worst bust I've ever seen and it isn't close. Every TV met. should come on air and start with an apology like Geoff Fox in 2010:

Lost interest in meteorology? What? We've been creamed over the years. So we had one bad bust. People need to put on their big boy pants.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clinch, you see any more thundersnow last night? Know there was one CG in your neighborhood.

Nope.  Just transformers and stuff.  on 4/97 I mean it was obvious it was thundersnow it happened all over and I saw it.   Since then maybe a few times I was 90% it was, but there's always transformers, other stuff, and I never had confirmation.   Last night is the first time I was 100% certain based on my eyes (which Coastalwx thankfully confirmed right away or I would not have tracked down the screen grab)....thanks Scott.....  and I love having the strike location.  I guess CTG is very rare.

where are u?  

Take a look at google maps, look for White Cliff in Plymouth.   To keep it simple I'm just south of white cliff, but basically right there right on the edge of south Plymouth.   I AM NOT the person that sends in those reports, I don't do reports aside of direct sometimes to mets.   Aside of 2005 and some other events without much wind I do not take the time or care to measure like all of you do and therefore do not usually believe I should submit.

What do you make of the swirl in the GOM that pivoted in?  Mesolow?  Helping to increase convergence along the coast there at all?

950-850 LOW.  That was progged to back into the GOM and is causing this snow. Will and I were saying yesterday that these are the snows that models maybe have like .25" in 6 hrs and you go "meh", but it's all fluff and next thing you know its 4-5".

ORHWXMAN AND COASTALWX,

Hats off guys,  I did not think I'd see this type of snow today.  I thought this was a goner aside of nuisance.  You guys were right....well done.

This is up to 1-2+ per hour.  It's now OE type - big flakes, accumulating fast.  This is what made 2005.  This band is larger, wider, more intense.  But may not last.

950-550 LOW.  That was progged to back into the GOM and is causing this snow. Will and I were saying yesterday that these are the snows that models maybe have like .25" in 6 hrs and you go "meh", but it's all fluff and next thing you know its 4-5".

Thanks.  Todays snow are turning out to be just as prolific as last nights.

Lost interest in meteorology? What? We've been creamed over the years. So we had one bad bust. People need to put on their big boy pants.

Who is we exactly? I don't have a climo anywhere near yours so I don't what that means. And this isn't just any bust dude, it's the worst bust we've ever had and it's not even remotely close.

Who is we've exactly? I don't have a climo anywhere near yours so I don't what that means. And this isn't just any bust dude, it's the worst bust we've ever had and it's not even remotely close.

Man...you guys have gotten spoiled. I agree it's a bad bust, but you've lost interest in meteorology over it? I've been on these forums for 20 years and I'd have to say that's the first time I've read that. lol

clinch is in SE corner of PYM I believe right next to ocean..(I think)

OK, thanks, in the interim managed to talk to NSTAR--my part of Falmouth has power, though there are outages east of me. An acquaintance who lives in town is going to drive by tomorrow and check for tree damage.

Man...you guys have gotten spoiled. I agree it's a bad bust, but you've lost interest in meteorology over it? I've been on these forums for 20 years and I'd have to say that's the first time I've read that. lol

I honestly don't know what you're talking about. I am pretty sure you don't know anything about totals I've had. I went almost 5 years without a 10" storm while you racked it up during '07-'08 and '08-'09 and got royally screwed in every event except 2/16/10 during '09-'10. This decade I've been much more fortunate but I've seen plenty of busts too like March 2013 and Jan. 2014 and 2015. Anyway, that's the last I'll be posting about this because I don't want to derail the obs. thread.

Well, I've lost interest in meteorology due to this storm. It's probably for the best since I am incompetent would never have gotten a good job in the field anyway with my worthless diploma from Western Connecticut State University. Ended up with 5.6" via the snowboard here but I think a little blew off so probably more like 6 or 6.5". The worst bust I've ever seen and it isn't close. Every TV met. should come on air and start with an apology like Geoff Fox in 2010: 

Matt, it just Has to go in your favor eventually. Hang in there mate.

Archived