Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Forecast/storm discussions and part II Manitoba Mauler

Damage In Tolland

My thoughts.

• Look at the initialization of the 18z suite/hour 3 and compare it to current conditions at H5. The only model that was remotely close to being correct was the NAM, the RGEM and GFS were way too far east with the setup.
  • Look at the obs coming out of NYC already. The park is reporting 4.5" already and there are reasonably widespread 3-5" totals in the area. The GFS/RGEM, which have 5-10 total, are already close to busting(RGEM especially which had less than .6" liquid and nyc has .37, do you really think they only see .23" more)
  • The 21z RAP is well west of the 20z RAP(20 miles or so) and made a decided trend towards letting the convection influence the low less. This matches the NAM.
  • The Euro has been locked into the western track for days. To see it bust would be absolutely monumental, whereas I can believe the GFS being wrong due to it's poor performance and initialization scheme.

At this point, my afternoon forecast will be based off the NAM and the EURO and discarding all other models. I'm taking a shot here, hope it works. I have absolutely no confidence, but it's time to make a call, and so I'm making one. Hope luck is on my side.

nice thoughts, good call,good luck.

My thoughts.

• Look at the initialization of the 18z suite/hour 3 and compare it to current conditions at H5. The only model that was remotely close to being correct was the NAM, the RGEM and GFS were way too far east with the setup.
  • Look at the obs coming out of NYC already. The park is reporting 4.5" already and there are reasonably widespread 3-5" totals in the area. The GFS/RGEM, which have 5-10 total, are already close to busting(RGEM especially which had less than .6" liquid and nyc has .37, do you really think they only see .23" more)
  • The 21z RAP is well west of the 20z RAP(20 miles or so) and made a decided trend towards letting the convection influence the low less. This matches the NAM.
  • The Euro has been locked into the western track for days. To see it bust would be absolutely monumental, whereas I can believe the GFS being wrong due to it's poor performance and initialization scheme.

At this point, my afternoon forecast will be based off the NAM and the EURO and discarding all other models. I'm taking a shot here, hope it works. I have absolutely no confidence, but it's time to make a call, and so I'm making one. Hope luck is on my side.

Thanks for laying it all out, so hard to keep up with all the model runs as we get so close to go time

I'm seeing something very different. But, I'm not as well-versed in this.

Glancing at the radar, it looks like the orientation of the bands will be good for us. It almost looks like a band is trying to come together from nyc to just over my head. ... Of course, it is very early, but i take it as a very good sign.

- CRIPPLING AND POTENTIALLY HISTORIC BLIZZARD
- SERIOUS LIFE-THREATENING STORM / TRAVEL DISCOURAGED!
- 1 TO 2 FT OF SNOW WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS IN SNOW-BANDING
- WHITE OUT CONDITIONS / NEAR-ZERO VISIBILITIES AT TIMES
- STRONG TO DAMAGING WINDS / HURRICANE FORCE ACROSS SE NEW ENGLAND
- MODERATE TO MAJOR COASTAL FLOODING / SEVERE BEACH EROSION

Hell on Earth... okay, got it. That's all you had to say, the scariest place imaginable. 

:lmao:

HIGH CONFIDENCE FORECAST FOR A CRIPPLING/HISTORIC BLIZZARD IMPACTING
S NEW ENGLAND. NEGATIVELY-TILTING H5 TROUGH THROUGH WHICH MID-LEVEL
ENERGY INTENSIFIES SURFACE LOW PRESSURE SE OF NANTUCKET NEAR THE
40N/70W BENCHMARK NE INTO THE GULF OF MAINE TONIGHT-WEDNESDAY ALONG
AN OFFSHORE BAROCLINIC ZONE ENHANCED BY HIGH PRESSURE SITUATED N
ACROSS E CANADA. CLASSIC CONVEYOR BELTS BENEATH H3 JET COUPLING AXES
OF RRQ / LFQ YIELDS STRONG DIFFLUENT MOTIONS ALOFT. LOW VERTICALLY
STACKS / FILLS BECOMING CAPTURED / STALLING BENEATH THE CLOSING
LOW ALOFT RESULTING IN A SLOW-MOVING / LONG-DURATION STORM. SURFACE
PRESSURE FALLS OF 40-50 MB IN 18 HRS. ALREADY ONGOING AS LATEST
WATER VAPOR SATELLITE SHOWS THE INITIAL NEGATIVE-TILT AHEAD OF WHICH
THE BAROCLINIC-LEAF STRUCTURE IS EVIDENT. LOTS OF OFFSHORE LIGHTNING
ACTIVITY INDICATIVE THAT THIS STORM IS GETTING BEEFY/INTENSIFYING.
ITS BOMBOGENESIS BABY!

The key takeaway for me from the Euro is that the minimum QPF for the whole states of CT and MA is about 1.7".  I'm sure the relative mins/maxes will shift around, but if large portions of SNE get much less than 1" QPF, that would be a monumental failure of the Euro.  I'm not banking on it.

I love the east vs. west....north vs south...NE vs. SW...etc battles that go on in here during these storms while jockeying for jackpots and hardest impacts.

I know it's so funny.  I would be content with a middling number at my house as long as BOS excels as mentioned before.  Why?  Because wtf is the difference really in 3 days between 15 and 25? 

No model had that band in LI.

pretty damn close

0z hi res nam

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NAMSFC4_0z/rad23.html

12z hi res nam

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NAMSFC4_12z/rad10.html

in fact the 18z hi res nam absolutely Destorys NYC then NE NJ Lower H.V between like 8pm and midnite while we wait for the frontogenesis to start to work up form cape around 11pm-Midnite

deep down in your inner weenie mind you dream of the Euro's 1" QPF verifying....what would that be 18-20" with ratio's in that deform

Not deep down...right on the surface of my mind I hope the Euro's right :lol:

But its sort of relaxing to watch a storm with absolutely nothing at risk.  Just call it and comment as I see fit with no agenda.  Of course I'd rather be looking at a bullseye, but it is refreshing not to have anything at stake and just watch without freaking out over little things.