Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
1/25-1/27 Clipper-Miller B Obs/Nowcasting

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The "Great Flizzard of 2015" resulted in a whopping 0.75" of (mainly) snow here in Crofton.  And that's being generous.

Looks like areas west of the fall line (I-95) did much better, both in VA as well as MD.  I've always felt that in highly frotogenetic, east-west banded situations, that little bump in topography -- even 300-400 feet -- can make all the difference in the world in terms off the added low level convergence. Analogous in a way to the better lake effect snow bands that set up where the over-water fetch is longer (even if slightly) than with the bands on either side.

Ended up with just a dusting (~.5") from Round 2 in Glen Burnie... Congrats to western guys who cashed in!

having grown up in and now working in Glen Burnie, the difference between GB and Linthicum in marginal events is noticeable

I received close to 2" for the whole thing

I first noticed it when I went to high school and the bus drove up Hammonds Ferry Road and I would get frustrated as hell seeing an inch there and next to nothing when I got home 10 minutes later

of course, another 10 minutes west from Linthicum and you're in Elkridge and the diff between them and me is almost always a source of additional weenie frustration !  :axe:

having grown up in and now working in Glen Burnie, the difference between GB and Linthicum in marginal events is noticeable

I received close to 2" for the whole thing

I first noticed it when I went to high school and the bus drove up Hammonds Ferry Road and I would get frustrated as hell seeing an inch there and next to nothing when I got home 10 minutes later

of course, another 10 minutes west from Linthicum and you're in Elkridge and the diff between them and me is almost always a source of additional weenie frustration !  :axe:

Driving between Columbia and Greenbelt is pretty telling in these situations as well.  There's a little hill on 295 near the 198 junction and even that little bit of elevation between there and down near the 32 junction can be quite noticeable for snow cover.  

we benefited from this:

NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM TUESDAY MORNING/...

COASTAL LOW IS RAPIDLY EAST OF THE DELMARVA THIS EVENING...WITH

PRESSURES FALLING 7 MB IN THE PAST 6 HOURS PER MSAS ANALYSIS. RADAR

BLOSSOMED THIS EVENING AS AN AREA OF CONVERGENCE DEVELOPED IN THE

INCREASING NE FLOW AROUND THE SFC LOW...AND THE REMNANT WAVE/FRONT

FROM THE CLIPPER LOW...AIDED BY THE OROGRAPHICS OF THE BLUE

RIDGE/CATOCTINS. INTENSITY OF THESE SNOW BANDS HAS BEEN VARIED AND

LOCALIZED.

Yeah. Had a 2 hour delay into work this morning. The drive in was really cool. Was a general 3-6 inches that I saw. It was not uniform though. Some parts north of Winchester had 5-6 inches at least. South of town they have around 3 or so. If you got under the band you got a decent event out of this for sure.

I think the lesson for us, though we never had a chance at decent snow with this one, is that unless the computers are all steady or increasing the qpf numbers w/in 24 hrs. of the event, be worried

I think the other lesson is to not hump the Euro, when everything else besides the Nam is saying otherwise.

this event reminded me of those misty/light rain days we get in april/may except this time it was frozen.  also, had a very orographic feel to it like we were trying to squeeze out every last drop from the atmosphere.  

overall, we got miller B scraps.  it was an event, it snowed a bit.  onto the next one.

A good spot is Boston. Just got a report from a co-worker that at 8am, the JFK Federal Building had just measured 21" and it was still pouring snow.  Nice!

how about just W of there in and around Framingham...28-30" as of 15Z and still dumping.  making a run at three feet if that heavier band can push a little farther west.

I chose my house location very specifically (although weather was not the only factor).  I might have gone to N. HoCo but I work in DC and the commute would have been untenable.

Kind of my situation as well. I had a choice of N/W Va or Cambridge, MD the last time I moved. I decided I loved snow to much for the eastern shore. Although I love the beach quite a bit. Once I knew I was staying in VA. I looked for a ridge to the west of Winchester as I knew that was the area that got the most snow. Pretty sick addiction if you ask me.

Archived