• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Discussion for Late January into February

ORH_wxman

Oh for sure transient blocks can happen. My point is this storm doesn't change my opinion. If it were 50 miles east, I bet some wouldn't feel as euphoric. We absolutely cannot have the Pacific crap the bed.

Well without the negative NAO, if there is no transient block you end up with these type of solutions like the day 9 GGEM... we've seen a few of these so far this season that run right over New England if nothing can force them east.

The GGEM loves to wrap up these bombs, I'm not saying this is anywhere close to happening, just showing it as an example of what the lack of a -NAO in the means can cause if the transient blocks aren't timed right.  You can get rainers to Quebec while upstate NY gets bombed. 

cmc_pr6_slp_t850_neng_36_zpsc0ad1bc8.png

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro looks like it's going to come in flat as a pancake for the late Sunday or early Monday event.

Yeah it toally misses any phasing with the southwest US energy...the clipper nuking out to our northeast also doesn't help it amplify either.

Oh for sure transient blocks can happen. My point is this storm doesn't change my opinion. If it were 50 miles east, I bet some wouldn't feel as euphoric. We absolutely cannot have the Pacific crap the bed.

That's what we have El Nino for...we're definitely developing a typical February +ENSO pattern with a +PNA and high-latitude blocking over Alaska.

Why wouldn't same thing happen in same setup?

It's not the same setup though...we're still in a similar pattern, but this past storm happened because a very vigorous and fast moving shortwave caught up to the our original storm that was trying to whiff wide right...remember that the original depiction of the storm before that happened was like Sunday night into Monday.

Nuances in the shortwaves can't be ignored.

That said, obviously Monday can still happen. We just need some southwest energy infused into it more than what is being depicted by most guidance sans the GGEM.

Mentioned this in the other thread... The wild continuity shift(ing) among the models re the latter system is very suspiciously related to data sampling in the Pac.  

The oper. runs clearly show a loss of some ~ half the mechanic power of the S/W material as it's coming aboard over land on this 12z run, and when that much is lost when source/origin is in the shadowy Pacific it's caveat emptor to the nth degree..

Buyer beware!

NCEP hinted in their Ex range discussion as well, mentioning that said won't relay until later Friday so there's likely to be some bouncing around in the models until that happens. 

The 12z GGEM agrees with the 00z GFS (for all intents and purpose...) and the Euro has been wavering a lot on impact in general.   

I think the Friday system should hold most focus for the time being.  

Archived