• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Discussion for Late January into February

ORH_wxman

The other thread is up to 75 pages and seemed to be unraveling a bit with emotional weenie posts...so lets get a fresh thread going for the late January into February threats.

Talk about the models in here, but leave your psycho-analysis to the banter thread please.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you look at the setup this weekend, this is why it might be difficult to accomplish. You can't rule it out, but at first look...I'm not too excited yet.

Here is hr 120. Prior to this, you had low pressure and WAA ahead of the low and Quebec. Not exactly text book setup. High pressure is way offshore which causes a lack of good differential temperature advection and thus a tigher CCB near the center. It also warms us up. Frontogenesis is lacking except from lower level forcing near the center. Also, while we have a ridge out west...Canada is not exactly a nice setup at 500mb at hr 120. And then at hr 144, the s/w responsible for the bomb se of ACK is about to pump up ridging in the east and boot the weekend low way OTS.

hr 120

attachicon.gifecmwf_z500_mslp_us_6.png

hr 120 500mb

attachicon.gifecmwf_z500a_us_6.png

hr 144 500

attachicon.gifecmwf_z500a_us_7.png

I thought this was a good post by Scott on why the weekend threat is pretty tough...the better look is for Monday.

Thinking you meant the better look is for Tuesday night......

I should probably say "anywhere between Monday and Tuesday night"...the timing is differing from run to run on that 2nd threat. Yesterday's 12z Euro and last night's GGEM liked it more for Monday/Monday night while the 00z Euro seemed to hold off more until Tues/Tues night.

I should probably say "anywhere between Monday and Tuesday night"...the timing is differing from run to run on that 2nd threat. Yesterday's 12z Euro and last night's GGEM liked it more for Monday/Monday night while the 00z Euro seemed to hold off more until Tues/Tues night.

Ah ok. Good point.  I noticed that when I looked this morning, but brain didn't put it together.

Delaying the arrival of the second system would be to our benefit no?

Archived