joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Discussion for Late January into February

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did we not say that about boxing day blizzard 2010?  If the shortwave amplifies enough it puss in closer?  Any chance weekend storm changes the Atlantic enough?

There are a lot of things that can pull it closer or push it away at this stage.  Sharper ridge out west or further west ridge axis will develop cyclogenesis off the SE coast, likewise a weaker amplificating ridge or further east displacement will have cyclogenesis further east.  And nothing will change the Atlantic from what I can see.

There are a lot of things that can pull it closer or push it away at this stage. Sharper ridge out west or further west ridge axis will develop cyclogenesis off the SE coast, likewise a weaker amplificating ridge or further east displacement will have cyclogenesis further east. And nothing will change the Atlantic from what I can see.

There is confluence to our north and a vortex near NF. Thread the needle but it's not like there isn't anything in place that makes the weekend storm impossible

There is confluence to our north and a vortex near NF. Thread the needle but it's not like there isn't anything in place that makes the weekend storm impossible

There is actually almost no confluence to our north...that is why there is low pressure in Quebec instead of the preferred high pressure as the storm approaches.

The storm is not impossible, but it will take a lot of breaks to go right in favor of it.

The NAVGEM will lead the way into a moving freight train. Nobody cares about that model.

Care about it if you want, but if this event verifies it was the first to get it by several days. 

It's verification isn't so terrible either, it's basically equal to the GGEM which we look at and use. No guidance is bad guidance if you know how to use it.

There is actually almost no confluence to our north...that is why there is low pressure in Quebec instead of the preferred high pressure as the storm approaches.

The storm is not impossible, but it will take a lot of breaks to go right in favor of it.

I should specify that I'm talking about this weekend...for the 2nd threat, it might have a better shot.

There's multiple systems being talked about on this run, so I know it gets confusing.

Care about it if you want, but if this event verifies it was the first to get it by several days. 

It's verification isn't so terrible either, it's basically equal to the GGEM which we look at and use. No guidance is bad guidance if you know how to use it.

It's overload and not a good model. I'll stick with the other big dogs for guidance. 

Ukie likes the second storm, sends the first one OTS which seems like the better solution if you want the second one to make the turn up the coast.

My gut says a weaker storm Saturday will keep the baroclinic zone closer to the coast and setup a better situation for the second low. It will also depend on how the 500mb pattern sets up out west.

The model is utterly useless to me for EC cyclogenesis. It scores worse than the GGEM too..it consistently has around a .03 lower anomaly correlation in winter at H5 on a 5 day forecast, though the most recent month it has been less of a gap, more like 0.012.

Back when it was the NOGAPs a few years ago, it had a severe SE bias in coastals which sort of made it useful at times, but since it's upgrade, it basically just seems all over the place.

Not necessarily specific to this area, but did ensembles more definitively step away from cold over mid atl , Ohio valley or here in last 48 hours?

Natural gas prices fell off cliff today

Been that way for a few days , but still cold overall. Models all over the place. However the easing if the cold can coincide with storms as well which is fine by me.

How Ironic would it be, if we got both of these Bears LMAO!!  The Irony of this season has been amazing to date, and this would just be the Capper if all of a sudden it turned around on a dime and gave us two Major systems back to back.....it would be the king of Irony.

Make no mistake, I don't think that is happening at all.  Just give us one of them is more than good enough imo...I'm not greedy.  But when you think about it, the idea fits with the way this season has gone....which is "not according to the long term ideas" would have led us to believe.

Archived