Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
JAN 23-24 anyone ?

DTWXRISK

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like seeing the GFS show appreciable precip at this point as it often under-does dynamic cooling for Miller A's (at least the old GFS did).  If the strength of the low continues to increase with that exact SLP track, everyone NW of 95 is in the game.  Down here, it's a toss up for now.

I like seeing the GFS show appreciable precip at this point as it often under-does dynamic cooling for Miller A's (at least the old GFS did).  If the strength of the low continues to increase with that exact SLP track, everyone NW of 95 is in the game.  Down here, it's a toss up for now.

So close temp wise for us both..like election nite in VA...too close to call.

Even though the freezing line is in PA it's not like we're basking in the 40's. Raw temps between 7am-1pm are between 33-35 pretty much everywhere.

Time to play the warm bias in the boundary layer card.

I don't think it's actually true that we rarely trend colder into a storm anyway. Maybe in mid-Feb thru March but in January trending colder at the sfc is pretty common.  Tho I wish there was a high somewhere. 

I don't think it's actually true that we rarely trend colder into a storm anyway. Maybe in mid-Feb thru March but in January trending colder at the sfc is pretty common.  Tho I wish there was a high somewhere. 

It was a weenie run no matter which way you slice it. Surface looked surprisingly good all things considered.

As precip is thumping:

post-2035-0-98391500-1421771041_thumb.jp

As precip is exiting:

post-2035-0-82892100-1421771070_thumb.jp

I feel like at least once a season we trot out one of Wes' favorite forecast situations-- the 1/22/87 No-High storm. 

It was a weenie run no matter which way you slice it. Surface looked surprisingly good all things considered.

As precip is thumping:

attachicon.gifgfstemp.JPG

As precip is exiting:

attachicon.gifgfstemp2.JPG

I'm going to throw out that the new GFS has a warm BL bias again.  Doesn't mean it's manifesting in this particular scenario, but overall, the bias is present.  But either way, if the entire column is below freezing except for the near-surface (which is at 33-35F), I'll run with that in late January.  

I feel like at least once a season we trot out one of Wes' favorite forecast situations-- the 1/22/87 No-High storm. 

One of my concerns would be what's to stop it from edging north? Seasonal trend hasn't necessarily done that but we haven't seen a lot of coastals lately. I'd probably rather see these solutions on Thursday. 

Archived