Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
JAN 23-24 anyone ?

DTWXRISK

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again low pressure up around the lakes, a bit north. No block, no 50-50 low, so a lot hinges on timing and ultimate track and strength of the coastal low for the weekend event. Early next week is the better set up per current guidance IMO.

FWIW. You saw this from DT?

"the KEY is the clipper Low... that Moves to se canada and becomes the 50/50 Low for JAN 23-24

Then the JAN 23 24 event moves s into se canada and that becomes the new 50 / 509 Low "

The one troubling aspect of the storm is there is no high to the north which will make it harder to hold in the cold air for we I95 and east guys.  I'm not saying it is impossible but am suggesting we need the track a tad east of the current Euro.

Have to agree strongly..

The one troubling aspect of the storm is there is no high to the north which will make it harder to hold in the cold air for we I95 and east guys. I'm not saying it is impossible but am suggesting we need the track a tad east of the current Euro.

It could easily be one of less common big coastals in Jan that is predominantly rain. I fully expect some if precip makes it to my yard. Euro ens mean runs the 850 line right over 95. And with the 850 track I'm sure that's not the only marginal level.

I'm with you. Rooting for further east. I'll gladly trade precip for temps.

FWIW. You saw this from DT?

"the KEY is the clipper Low... that Moves to se canada and becomes the 50/50 Low for JAN 23-24

Then the JAN 23 24 event moves s into se canada and that becomes the new 50 / 509 Low "

Well it accelerates through 50-50 but for it do any good for the next event it cant be up over Greenland lol. A 50-50 low needs to be stationary in that position or move very slowly, and that usually happens when we have a -NAO.

NAVGEM has been the trend setter with this one. The 6z track is not terrible for the central MD/DC area. Looks like it has been rock solid for about 5 straight runs. Interesting to watch the globals coming west overnight, including the Euro. Like Wes was saying, we need a tad east of the Euro track. However, if we can get the h85 low to trek around RIC or ORF, the cold air should be more optimal. Of course, there is not a distinct cold air source, so were depending on other factors, but just my 2¢ at the moment.

Well it accelerates through 50-50 but for it do any good for the next event it cant be up over Greenland lol. A 50-50 low needs to be stationary in that position or move very slowly, and that usually happens when we have a -NAO.

Thanks. I was wondering why that comment was just let go. Pure dumb luck or thread the needle event, whatever you want to call it, I hope it doesn't fall apart. HM remarks make me more optimistic about Feb.

The one troubling aspect of the storm is there is no high to the north which will make it harder to hold in the cold air for we I95 and east guys.  I'm not saying it is impossible but am suggesting we need the track a tad east of the current Euro. 

I've learned a lot from you and this is the main thing that's tempering my excitement for this storm.   stupid F#$^^&! great lakes low.

I've learned a lot from you and this is the main thing that's tempering my excitement for this storm.   stupid F#$^^&! great lakes low.

At least they don't interact. There's weak hp sandwiched between them leading in. The hp scoots offshore but it's the reason we stand a chance. The antecedent airmass isn't destroyed by the low in canada. It would be if the weak hp didn't exist (and the low to the north was further south). 

It's still marginal because the hp scoots but we've seen much worse with lows to the north. 

post-2035-0-21097300-1421767093_thumb.jp

At least they don't interact. There's weak hp sandwiched between them leading in. The hp scoots offshore but it's the reason we stand a chance. The antecedent airmass isn't destroyed by the low in canada. It would be if the weak hp didn't exist (and the low to the north was further south). 

It's still marginal because the hp scoots but we've seen much worse with lows to the north. 

attachicon.gifeuromslp.JPG

Any recollection of the most recent storm with a double low structure like that that gave us snow?

Archived