joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
JAN 23-24 anyone ?

DTWXRISK

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought NAVGEM was one of the more advanced models out there? Isn't some of the data classified actually?

NAVGEM couldn't cutoff a low in the southwest to save it's life.

Edit: 18Z NAVGEM has the storm.  NAVGEM 72hrs shows an H5 vortex just east of cabo San lucas. 18z GFS has that same vortex at the AZ, MX, border, huge difference!

Anyway, I still don't like the setup very much even with the trend for the following reasons.

High is too weak and too far south.

850s not that cold, even behind the storm and surface is marginal.

Vortex still track too far southeast.

Powerful NRN stream low in Quebec

Overall I'm not woofing unless the Quebec low stays out of the way and there is a stronger high as the crapgem and the EURO "out of control" runs are suggesting.

Well, the gfs ens members don't hate the idea.

Going off RaleighWx's 18z GFS ensembles, and using 72 hr QPF individual as a baseline and using the 132 hr map, I count 8 out of 20 as having 0.25" QPF or more... 6 out of 20 as having 0.50" QPF or more for DCA

5 ensembles are over 1", and 3 are over 1.50"

I think we would all like p004 and p014 to go please ;)

Wow, that is quite impressive. Some wound up bombs in there

Going off RaleighWx's 18z GFS ensembles, and using 72 hr QPF individual as a baseline, I count 8 out of 20 as having 0.25" QPF or more... 6 out of 20 as having 0.50" QPF or more for DCA

Going off RaleighWx's 18z GFS ensembles, and using 72 hr QPF individual as a baseline and using the 132 hr map, I count 8 out of 20 as having 0.25" QPF or more... 6 out of 20 as having 0.50" QPF or more for DCA

I think we would all like p004 and p014 to go please ;)

I don't get to see as many as you, but I did see a couple of droolers

Just to use as a comparison to the global models later tonight, but it would appear that on hr 84, the NAM would suggest that all the energy is coming out of the SW and not being left there... which tells me that it lends some credence to the EURO/GGEM/UKIE camp... plus SLP is developing in W GOM...

Yes, I know its the NAM at hr 84, but I am watching the h5 charts closely.  Comparing the 18z NAM at 78 to the 00z NAM 84, the h5 energy is also more consolidated on the 00z compared to the 18z NAM

Just to use as a comparison to the global models later tonight, but it would appear that on hr 84, the NAM would suggest that all the energy is coming out of the SW and not being left there... which tells me that it lends some credence to the EURO/GGEM/UKIE camp... plus SLP is developing in W GOM...

Yes, I know its the NAM at hr 84, but I am watching the h5 charts closely. Comparing the 18z NAM at 78 to the 00z NAM 84, the h5 energy is also more consolidated on the 00z compared to the 18z NAM

18z DGEX didn't cut it, but 0z NAM looks better. We're really sick to be parsing 4th string models.

When trying to time the ejection of energy in the southwest, things can vary drastically from apps cutters to southern sliders.  I've been interested in this one since the GFS and EURO went HECS on us a few days ago, but we really have to thread the needle with this setup. 

Yes, I know its the NAM at hr 84, but I am watching the h5 charts closely. Comparing the 18z NAM at 78 to the 00z NAM 84, the h5 energy is also more consolidated on the 00z compared to the 18z NAM

18z at 78 corresponds to the 0z at 72, but I get what you're saying. Looks like we would need just to hold that 500 energy just a little longer out west.

Edit: the differences are big...I agree

Yoda, I doubt the debate is really gfs vs all the others. The real issue is do they shift even more nw. We still need another nw push even on ggem/euro camp. Of course some of us need more then others. As much as you seem to hate it I would take the navgem solution up here.

Well yes, we all would like another NW shift from the models, it just seems that the EURO/GGEM are closer to making that jump than the GFS is... 00z GFS should be interesting to see what it does with the h5 energy in the SW

To me, the NAVGEM being so wound up and inland raises a large red flag, as it MIGHT suggest that the other models will come NW more... hopefully not to that extreme... and its possible NAVGEM is on its own tracking the low inland

that is a real threat. Worst case scenario is each wave this week is too weak to give us much but just enough to squash the threat behind it.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that scenario (which is sorta showing on the GFS tonight).  That h5 map is potent but with little to show for it.

Archived