Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Potential Clipper System 1/21

TauntonBlizzard2013

[quot

me=Brewbeer" post="3267300" timestamp="1421710509]

Damn, 7 pages in 23 hours for 1-2+. We need a real storm.

Amen to that... But niclkes and dimes add up to dollars eventually. But I do agree, a nice region wide 12+ coastal will calm all anxiety... I do think this will overperform tho based on the 700 track

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAM is 0.0" for everyone. This one is quickly joining the cast of failed events of winter 2014-2015.

It's out to 54...it's not really out far enough. It's going to spit out some snow on the following frames as the potent vortmax travels just underneath.

I was wrong. What actually happened I think is that the initial confluent energy trended stronger and slower which made me think that was the clipper from my quick glance at it, but the actual clipper is still there, just now a Thursday evening event instead of a Wednesday one. Widespread coatings to inches into NNE with 1-2" for the southern half of CT.

Nam throws light snow well north into NNE.

Classic vort track for an over-performer compared to QPF Queens' expectations. That weak ML fronto almost and some pretty good instability under the 5H trough.

That's why I'm still interested in this one for a band of decent snow somewhere.

I actually like that NAM run a lot, definitely shifted north with it's positioning of the best snows and it's juicer overall. I'm with Will and Scott(Who both have provided excellent explanations/analysis, nicely done) that we could see some surprises somewhere, but it's tricky to forecast exactly where with this range, and therefore sticking with a C-2" forecast until you get a better idea of what could over perform is the right call IMO.

Classic vort track for an over-performer compared to QPF Queens' expectations. That weak ML fronto almost and some pretty good instability under the 5H trough.

That's why I'm still interested in this one for a band of decent snow somewhere.

You seem slightly invested in this one? I should probably take a look at a map tomorrow maybe this is the one!

You seem slightly invested in this one? I should probably take a look at a map tomorrow maybe this is the one!

Invested might be a strong word...it's still a clipper/inverted trough...so there isn't a big storm here. But I'm still keeping my eye on this for more than coating to an inch event that most posters have already dismissed this as.

Because we are relying on a strong vortmax tracking in a favorable spot, it can still crap out on us, but I can say fairly confidently that if a Euro or NAM upper air look happened, then we'd see more 2"+ totals than most are expecting looking at QPF maps. There's times when you slice the modeled QPF (often on SWFEs) and then there's times when you have to actually add some. (like on N or NW side of good ML fronto...or in this case, some ML fronto combined with strong PVA and a bit of instability)

However, maybe we get a more strung out look like the GFS with the vort energy and all we get is a few snow showers.

Invested might be a strong word...it's still a clipper/inverted trough...so there isn't a big storm here. But I'm still keeping my eye on this for more than coating to an inch event that most posters have already dismissed this as.

Because we are relying on a strong vortmax tracking in a favorable spot, it can still crap out on us, but I can say fairly confidently that if a Euro or NAM upper air look happened, then we'd see more 2"+ totals than most are expecting looking at QPF maps. There's times when you slice the modeled QPF (often on SWFEs) and then there's times when you have to actually add some. (like on N or NW side of good ML fronto...or in this case, some ML fronto combined with strong PVA and a bit of instability)

However, maybe we get a more strung out look like the GFS with the vort energy and all we get is a few snow showers.

BOX is in the Debbie camp with this as well

BOX is in the Debbie camp with this as well

There's no reason for them to forecast more than C-1" right now anyway. It's 48+ hours out and the bump higher would require a bit more confidence in the Nam or Euro vortmax track.

Some are just basically 100% confident that its going to be basically nothing, which I think is wrong based on the information we have right now.

Archived