joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Clipper System 1/21

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't say it should be used as the go-to model outside of 120 hours...I just said that it doesn't have those types of major swings within 72 hours any more than the other major globals do, i.e. rarely.

And neither did i say inside 72 hrs, Where did you come up with that? I said it has wild run to run swings at times, I did not mention anything about 72 hrs

And neither did i say inside 72 hrs, Where did you come up with that? I said it has wild run to run swings at times, I did not mention anything about 72 hrs

72 hours...as in the current time frame that this storm will be occurring...

Canadian is meh. Coatings and mood snow for many.

It sucks anyways even if it showed a blizzard which it could very well do the next run then have it 500 miles west on the one after that

Honestly, that's probably about the best to hope for. You'll have spots with a dusting and others get a lucky inch or two.

A lot of the GEFS seem to be hinting at that. This isn't going to be a bomb, but the potential is still there for a low ceiling event.

ah, I don't think you guys saw the same thing I did on this particular Euro run.  To paraphrase what I just posted in the model thread ... there is a 700mb saturated band from NY through SNE, collocated with 1.5 lat N of mid level jet max(es) ...There could be a weak frontogenetic entity there, producing a band of light to moderate snow...or perhaps shredded bands, but snowing nonetheless.  

The low is flat (Oh lord...) and weak, okay, but just remember:  sometimes little critters can bite. 

700mb fields were very moist at hour 72.  I would think someone would get hit hard with the inverted trough.  Why aren't inverted troughs more consistent in giving a narrow region like 12-18" instead of 3-4"?

Norlun troughs are notoriously difficult to pin down.  One thing I have noticed is that they tend to rotate south, cyclonically, across successive runs.  Ex: if at 84 hours there is a precipitating column amid inverted troughing up in Maine, the 72 hour run slips it south, 60 to Cape Ann...48 along LI, then a no show.  

Yet they do happen from time to time.  What that means really is that whatever physical properties cause them to happen they are less discretely understood -- otherwise the models would process them with more accuracy.  

One of the best Norlun stories I ever heard was a virtual blind result of nearly 20" in Portland Maine.  Imagine going to bed and waking up with your car tented, with no idea it was coming ?

Archived