joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
We have a Dream MLK Disco Jan 18 Possible Wave on front

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could see it ripping on their webcams on the mountain when it was still barely light out. It looked like the snow line was prob around 2500 feet (like 1000 feet up the mountain).

That's exactly right. Skied Killington Peak today. A brief wave of snow hit about 11:30am w very strong winds. , then a lull for about an hour, then from about 12:30pm steady precip moved in. The. Snow level was in bet the base of the K1 Gondi and the Canyon quad. But it fluctuating a bit between 2800- 3200 ft. The North Ridge triple starts at about 3500-3600ft and goes just about to the summit at 4200ft. So doing laps up there kept is out of the rain.

The snow was a dense powder above 3800 that become progressively wetter as you descended down. Mash potatoes in spots around 3200. After 3pm the snow level dropped to the K1 base at 2600ft. We took at shuttle from K1 base to Snowshed lodge about 5pm at 2,200ft where it was raining. So the rain/snow line was about 2400/2500 ft. It started snowing at 2200 about 6pm and came down hard. Last I checked we had about 6 inches at 11pm at 2200ft. It was interesting to ski and play with the rain/snow level. At one point we were waiting in line at the K1 Gondi where it was raining and look up a like 200 hundred feet a see the heavy snow blowing through the air - the flakes were quite large..

The 6 inches of snow here by the condo is Sierra cement type. It sticks to everything. A complete WinterWonderland up here.

well I can try to talk myself into some sort of moral victory for hanging on to freezing rain through about 3 p.m., although very marginal and the fact that I did hold on to a very thin layer of crust but let's face it overall another unmitigated disaster with temperatures in the single digits the day before and in the teens the night before the event

well I can try to talk myself into some sort of moral victory for hanging on to freezing rain through about 3 p.m., although very marginal and the fact that I did hold on to a very thin layer of crust but let's face it overall another unmitigated disaster with temperatures in the single digits the day before and in the teens the night before the event

It's always a nice perspective for the winter lover, to know your "place" held the cold for xyz hours

How much at Stowe Summit?

We know Killington's 14" is a summit total.8

Cannon was only Nh mountain to pull off something decent  3-4 base 7-8 summit.

Sugarloaf Big rainer.

Seems S.Vt resorts didn't do that hot.

I've been too busy to check the summit stake but en route right now.  5-7" down in the 1,500-2000ft elevation, but there's a lot more up top.

now for some upslope

9" at 3,000ft stake.

Its going off out there.  The energy is amazing.  The mountain is so filled in from the several really dense snowfalls we've had this year.  People are launching every cliff and ledge they can find.  The steep trees are skiing bomber.  Hoots and hollers from around the place...the locals are getting after it today.

This place is in awesome shape for February and March right now.

9" at 3,000ft stake.

Its going off out there. The energy is amazing. The mountain is so filled in from the several really dense snowfalls we've had this year. People are launching every cliff and ledge they can find. The steep trees are skiing bomber. Hoots and hollers from around the place...the locals are getting after it today.

This place is in awesome shape for February and March right now.

powder.jpg

sweeet

Aside from some small accumulations at the summits screw job in the White Mtns. Horrible ski weekend up here according to my friends. Frozen granular Saturday, rain Sunday, mush freezing up today. I happily nursed a mild ankle injury (and many beers) from a warm living room with a great view, glad not to drop $ on a lift ticket

Well the dream MLK wave is now past and gone.  Interesting storm up here in Central NH.  Coming off very cold weather the precip started right off with freezing rain causing glare road conditions in many parts of the state.  Rain started at 17F here and it rained all day with temperatures slowly rising through the 20's.   By 6pm we broke freezing and just had heavy rain and temps in the mid 30's during the evening.  HIgh temp was 37.5F around 10pm and then temps slowly feel back to the low 30's.  Ended with a bit of snow.  Ice is everywhere on untreated surfaces but the evenings mild temp cleared the trees.  Still in the lowest bogs as of 11am today the trees are iced covered.  Our 5" of glacier remains and we are 100% snow covered still.

Archived