northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Winter medium range model pbp I

GaWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This one is a delicate balance system- too positive tilt/less phasing, suppressed and everyone gets the shaft. Too phased/more neutral tilt then most get rain. We need the sweet spot in between- and if that happens I cannot really see a huge snow for anyone, maybe mostly 1-3", more in the mountains.

This sums it up well cheez.  18z continues with the less phased / suppressed look

The NAVGEM continues to look consistently great.

Yea, this run of the navgem is the best one yet and is a thing of beauty for most.  Interesting to note that it misses the phase with the southwest energy... i guess we don't necessarily need that interaction if the northern branch can dive down far enough.

Hot off the presses folks!  Sorry that it is a long video, just a ton of stuff to go over.  My latest thoughts on the models, and the trends of them.  Its a long shot Friday, but there are some positive trends IMHO today.  Check out the video for more please, and Thank you!! -Chris 

https://www.facebook.com/ChriswxmanSimmons

18z 2m temps. Coldest I see is around 12z Friday , with upper 30s around N Ga, my area. People say don't worry about 2m temps, and I know it can snow with upper 30s, but that's asking alot

850 temps are fine but there is no storm. Your temps are probably based off of partly sunny conditions.

Hot off the presses folks!  Sorry that it is a long video, just a ton of stuff to go over.  My latest thoughts on the models, and the trends of them.  Its a long shot Friday, but there are some positive trends IMHO today.  Check out the video for more please, and Thank you!! -Chris 

https://www.facebook.com/ChriswxmanSimmons

Great video Chris! Unfortunately I live north of I40 in NC, N.Foothills, So chances are I want  get any QPF this far north.... #bummer :axe:

Great video Chris! Unfortunately I live north of I40 in NC, N.Foothills, So chances are I want get any QPF this far north.... #bummer :axe:

Like most events since late summer they are sliding east and south or cutting to the west . Unless the upper levels change in a dramatic way this year doesn't seem to be our year. But it only take 1 system to change it all!

Right now when the cold does come in its more of a NW flow which as we know dries us out in the foothills. We need the cold to come in around Minn and slide to the east and funnel down the cold on the east side of he mountains

Nice catch delta dog. Certainly looks considerably better than some of the other models.

I noticed a distinct difference in while comparing jets at 300mb for 12Z on Thursday as well. The NAM is further south and west with the short wave trough in question, and takes on a more neutral look. Both factors when combined with a possible phase would like lead to a healthy low in the northern Gulf. IF**** models were to converge on this solution, we'd then would have to keep an eye out for the possibility of the system turning the corner too early AND continue to watch the marginal temps (would like to see that 540 line down towards Atlanta or further south given a strong area of high pressure to the north seems unlikely). It is nice to see medium range models starting to pick up the storm as they have been game changers in the past.

Edit: Upon second inspection it appears that an area of low pressure off of the New England coast may be a big player, which will likely play a part in determining the over long wave (trough) set up depending on the lows evolution.

NAM 00Z 84 hour

nam_namer_084_300_wnd_ht.gif

GFS 12 Z 96 hour

gfs_namer_096_300_wnd_ht.gif

Nice catch delta dog. Certainly looks considerably better than some of the other models.

I noticed a distinct difference in while comparing jets at 300mb for 12Z on Thursday as well. The NAM is further south and west with the short wave trough in question, and takes on a more neutral look. Both factors when combined with a possible phase would like lead to a healthy low in the northern Gulf. IF**** models were to converge on this solution, we'd then would have to keep an eye out for the possibility of the system turning the corner too early AND continue to watch the marginal temps (would like to see that 540 line down towards Atlanta or further south given a strong area of high pressure to the north seems unlikely). It is nice to see medium range models starting to pick up the storm as they have been game changers in the past.

NAM 00Z 84 hour

nam_namer_084_300_wnd_ht.gif

GFS 12 Z 96 hour

gfs_namer_096_300_wnd_ht.gif

Good find there as well.  That would certainly help things get cleared for take off!

We are starting to get to the point in the weekend storm where the operational becomes more of a skilled tool than the ensemble mean.  If there is to be a significant event, you would hope/expect that the operational would show a shift towards a partial phase in the next few runs (GFS, Euro).  I'd give it another 48 hours before writing off anything, however.  0z was better than 18z, but it looked more like noise to me.

Archived