amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Winter medium range model pbp I

GaWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's not a miller b it's just a clipper that brings us flurries. Plenty of cold which was not our worry to begin with.

Oh cool idk it just seems with miller b's the transfer the energy right over us an reforms heavier bands down east towards 77 just my obs with years past give me a weak miller a comin around the bend with a hp over the lakes an ill take my chances.

WPC approaching the cliff?

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION

NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD

1056 AM EST SAT JAN 17 2015

VALID 12Z TUE JAN 20 2015 - 12Z SAT JAN 24 2015

THE GLOBAL NUMERICAL GUIDANCE HAS BEEN ESPECIALLY VOLATILE OF LATE

SORTING THE FLOW PATTERN ACROSS THE UNITED STATES AT THE MEDIUM

RANGE. WHAT THE MODELS CURRENTLY SUGGEST IS THAT A RATHER TRANQUIL

PERIOD IS AT HAND, WITH NEITHER ARCTIC AIR NOR DEEP-LAYER MOISTURE

BEING STEERED INTO THE NATION. THE SYSTEM THAT WAS BEING TRACKED

ALONG THE GULF COAST LOOKS SHEARED AT THIS POINT, AND WITH COLD

AIR LESS ENTRENCHED OVER THE EAST, THE CHANCES OF WINTRY

PRECIPITATION HAVE LESSENED FROM THE TENNESSEE VALLEY TO THE

APPALACHIANS AND MID ATLANTIC. RELIED ON THE BLAND MIDDLE GROUNDS

OF THE 00Z/17 ECENS AND NAEFS MEANS FOR THIS FORECAST PACKAGE.

CISCO

Though I am slightly impressed w/ the overall set-up and the VP will be approaching the critical 30-60E longitude, I would like to see a nice Rex Block crank out over the NE Pacific, and although it's not entirely impossible, we usually don't see Miller As in the absence of HLB in the North Atlantic, much less a Miller B oe overrunning event w/o the advent of anomalous ridging in the North Pacific. In saying this, it appears we can actually pull off overrunning even w/o a -EPO/WPO when the jet wavelengths/strength are appreciably shorter/weaker, thus providing more "flexibility" for the longwave pattern to meander and slide cut-off lows & shortwaves beyond the bounds of the mean flow, as is the case in mid-late February & March.

Some examples of preceding 500mb patterns w/ troughing in/around Alaska out ahead of a major winter storms in the southern US include...

Blizzard of 1895 (mid February). Southeastern Texas & Louisiana were absolutely crippled. The snow totals from this storm are extremely hard to believe, especially considering the geographic location...

Beaumont/Port Arthur, Texas (30")

Rayne, Louisiana (24")

Lake Charles, Louisiana (22")

Houston, Texas (20-22")

Galveston, Texas (15")

Lafayette, Lousiana (14")

New Iberia, Louisiana (13.5")

Brownsville, Texas (6")

Mobile, Alabama (6")

Feb-10-13-1895-Houston-Gavleston-TexasLo

The Great Blizzard of 1899 (mid February). Blizzard conditions were reported along the west coast of Florida coast north of Tampa Bay thanks to ocean effect snow.

Feb-7-10-1899-N-America-500mb-East-Coast

Late February 1914. Ironically, this was the same year that observed record-breaking snow (in terms of the earliest snow on record) in the preceding November in Columbia, SC, which was of course broken this year.

Feb-20-23-1914-North-America-500mb-South

Early March 1927 (arguably the largest snowstorm in the historical record for central & eastern North Carolina, I would certainly argue that it even puts the January 2000 & March 1980 storms to shame). 2 feet+ snow totals were reported in Asheboro (24"), Randleman (24"), Pinehurst (26"), Fayetteville (24"), Edenton (26") and Goldsboro (26"), w/ Nashville, NC east of Raleigh being the big winner, picking up a mind-numbing 31 inches of snow

February-25-28-1927-N-America-500mb-NC-R

Here's the monthly snowfall total map from March 1927 so you can get an idea of the scope of the snow totals from the storm in earlier portion of the month... In general, about one half-two-thirds of North Carolina received one foot or more of snow out of that storm. Wow

March-1927-US-Snow-Totals-1024x752.png

Mid February 1960

Feb-8-11-1960-N-America-Southern-US-Snow

February 2004

Feb-22-24-2004-Southern-US-Overrunning.g

If we had a pattern like this (or even the one we have now) show up about 3-4 weeks later in mid-late February or March, I would be absolutely thrilled. Too bad it's January...

FWIW, the 18z NAVGEM not only stuck to its guns, but doubled down. It is a bit beastly and tracks a little inland, so it is too warm for any of us. Roanoke, VA on northward into the Mid-Atlantic gets a good hit before it heads OTS. I'm not sure a suppressed solution is set in stone. The individual GEFS members I saw were all over the place and even had a cutter.

hmmmmmm  Hr 102...looks like more qpf breaking out over TX, the northern "new" piece is diving south and the southern piece looks** like its trying to keep moving. 

Maybe Rome, and Gainesville? could see some flurries from your Sun chance.  That's actually something pretty close by to look at :)  Probably won't be much, but sometimes those things will drop an inch up there.  T

Franklin is right. In order to get a phase the northern stream always has to come in behind the southern stream and capture it for us. Ann old rule of thumb for mby was it needs to happen east of the Miss river, never want it to close off before then .

Snow I would normally agree, but the trough tilt is important too.  If the trough tilt is positive as it phases (like 00z), then its OK if it occurs in the southern plains, west of the Miss R...i.e. it can't yank the sfc low too far north in that case

Archived