• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Winter medium range model pbp I

GaWx

Precip looked about same as 18z, but I like this rub also! :). I'm still a little concerned about temps

This run was close to showing a good 1-3" for NE SC and SE NC, but surface temps were too warm there (mid-levels looked fine). Thicknesses were low enough to make me think that could possibly be some wet snow, in reality, if that situation were too transpire. Sub-540 dm 1000-500 mb thicknesses, sub-132 dm 1000-850 mb thicknesses...

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

850s are cold enou gj when precip is falling at hr 108, who knows about surface.

Surface temperatures look a little warm, but you know what?  With the thicknesses and mid-level temps they way they are and decent precip, I really don't buy it.  I'm a weenie, but that looks like a wet snow with temperatures around/slightly above freezing to me.  Of course, with those kinds of temperatures, we'd really want the snow to fall at night and/or have the precip be steady so it doesn't melt in between heavier bands.

The 00z GGEM might be a decent hit for NC. We'll have to wait for better maps.

(I'm not talking about a big dog necessarily, but maybe a light/moderate event)

I guess watching white rain fall at 39 would be a win in this winter. The 540 does dance around the northern edge on the GGEM! It's a very fine line, precip gets much farther north and temps would take more of a hit

Although the surface reflection only changed slightly this run. I like the changes aloft, seems the 00Z GFS moved towards the 00Z NAM. What happens is anyones guess still, but as others have said, seems likely the precip shield will continue to inch northward.

12Z GFS 96 hours

gfs_namer_096_300_wnd_ht.gif

00Z GFS 84 hours

gfs_namer_084_300_wnd_ht.gif

00Z NAM 84 hours

nam_namer_084_300_wnd_ht.gif

well, the drunk doc says..NADA for Anyone...well, maybe NTX and OK, but thats it.  There was some good, but some bad with it as well.  The key will still continue to be how do the streams interact and will there be enough moisture.  Then, is it cold enough.  I will say I don't like the trends of the 2m temps..I just don't...The H5 look, is interesting for sure and what the hell is up with all the qpf bombs in the gulf?

It should be noted that the Euro does allow the low to turn the corner after it crosses FL and it bombs as it heads NE from there. Precip scrapes E NC/SC, but temps are too warm there. Bit of a change from last run, though it just makes a mightier storm for the fishes, in the end.

Like the GFS, the Euro gives a bit of clipper love on the 27th, then we get a nice arctic outbreak.

I think the precip shield ends up being further north with this system than currently molded. I think in a lot of ways it acts like the Feb 1 (?) storm last year where two days from the event qpf starts ramping up further north and west of again what's currently molded. However I do not think this ends up being a Miller A. We have to go with the hot hand and we have seen these systems a lot this winter and they end up NOT being a Miller A. I don't see anything to change that this go round. I hope I'm wrong though. 

For whatever reason, 850's are sig warmer on recent model consensus for 1/23 than they were for the prior days. Unlike the too warm 2m temp.'s, this is not a good sign to say the least.

No worries, they will trend colder as we get closer. And the models cannot pick up the dynamic cooling on the NW side of the low.

Archived