Newest Member
    northernriwx
Winter medium range model pbp I

GaWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Folks,

I like the 12Z GFS run, the third GFS run in a row with a bonafide Miller A. I love where it is almost as much as if it showed an actual widespread snow.

We already have had more than enough runs of the various models to allow us to assume that just a little jog back north (like on the 0Z GFS, GFS/Euro runs from Thu night and earlier, and the several members of yesterday's 12Z GEFS) could easily put many well inland board members into a sig snowfall of multiple inches on 1/22-3 the modeled 2M temperatures be darned.

I'm with ya Larry I just worry about how the models have handled these before...seems like most of them have just been southern sliders when we actually get there that are too weak to do much. Hopefully this bucks the trend. Canada certainly says you're on the right track with your thinking. 

When Larry starts a post with "Folks," you know it's going to be a good one. Larry, do you think the models will continue to tick colder as we get closer, or that the colder look to the 12z was a direct byproduct of the more suppressed storm track?

I say it is a byproduct of the more suppressed storm. I don't think it needs to be any colder based on 850's clearly being cold enough. I'm not sweating the too warm 2M temperatures. I'm assuming they'll verify several degrees too warm wherever there is sig and steady enough precip.

It's amazing what jet wavelengths can do to a setup like this, the stronger jet and longer wavelengths are going to be a primary contributor to the suppression of this storm, and will shove it further to the south & east... OTOH, if we had this coming about 3-5 weeks later into @ least the 2nd week of February, it would be game, set, match for a snowstorm in the SE US. not so much now however, as we're likely going to be splitting hairs to receive considerable wintry precipitation...

First, let me say that it's great having you on the forums this winter...

Just so I'm not confused here, what's your reasoning behind the idea that a setup like this in middle Feb would be more condusive to a storm as compared to now?

First, let me say that it's great having you on the forums this winter...

Just so I'm not confused here, what's your reasoning behind the idea that a setup like this in middle Feb would be more condusive to a storm as compared to now?

Thanks, it all has to do w/ the annual jet behavior and I explained yesterday on here w/ various examples including Blizzard of 1895 & 1899 (both mid Feb), Late February 1914, March 1927, Mid February 1960, & February 2004, that if you are going to produce a snowstorm or especially an overrunning event in the southeastern US w/ a trough over the Gulf of Alaska (which naturally likes to haul in warm southwesterly flow off the Pacific & envelope N America w/ mild air) it has to usually occur between mid February and early March... Thus, normally a trough over the Gulf of Alaska & Alaska itself in the heart of the winter when the jet is near its maximum amplitude equates to a ridging downstream in the southeastern US or even across the US in general, however, as you get later in the winter, that same exact pattern, due to the jet naturally losing amplification and also the wavelengths shortening can actually crash & sneak a trough into the SE US... If this pattern showed up in mid February thru early March, we'd run the risk of getting clobbered, not the case here however...

Big spread on GFS ENS at 120 hours, but only 2 or so are very suppressed with this...remember what I said yesterday, you just do not see systems track over the central or SRN Gulf into Florida, they either fizzle over Texas or eject out over the Gulf States and not much further south...

Snow, do you know why systems don't tend to track across the mid Gulf? Is there some time of land interaction or temp gradient that tends to keep the surface low tight to the Gulf states?

Thanks

as of now...much more interaction with the 2 streams..TONS of qpf over TX so far at hr 102...even if this doesn't get all the way there, its a step in the right direction...The southern piece is Further EAST this run, and the northern piece is further WEST so far...*again, even if this doesn't get all the way back*  its a STEP in the better direction..

Big spread on GFS ENS at 120 hours, but only 2 or so are very suppressed with this...remember what I said yesterday, you just do not see systems track over the central or SRN Gulf into Florida, they either fizzle over Texas or eject out over the Gulf States and not much further south...

The 12z Euro tracks the low just south of Tampa. Do you think that could be a realistic track or is it still too far south?

Compare the 12z to the 0z valid 0z Saturday. Due to the stream interaction, this is a look much closer to what many snow fans would want to see. Much better looking system. However, still positive tilt, and still not there. 

0z

post-390-0-91760200-1421605795_thumb.png

12z

post-390-0-12781200-1421605780_thumb.png

A quick update on the models, but a much better and a video update coming later...Lets just say that things are still possible for a nice Storm for the Southern plains and Southeast later this week.  GFS and EURO, plus the GEM all took good *steps* or **trended** better today.  

https://www.facebook.com/ChriswxmanSimmons

If anyone is wondering why the 850's drop so much with the precip.: the 850 TD's are like -10 C or colder just in advance of the precip. So, the evap. cooling up there is very strong.

Edit: the 12Z JMA has a quite suppressed Miller A. That's fine with me at this stage.

Just to back that up this is kind of close to the look we saw last year with our big storm. Models had it suppressed until about 2 days out and then it just started pushing precip further and further northwest. There was more cold air to work with but man looking back at the maps that were posted on the surface precip wise it almost looks identical. 

Though hardly any further north, if at all, note that the 12Z EPS mean is sig. wetter than the 0Z EPS mean for 1/23. Nice trend. The Miller A is very much there. The 850's remain cold enough on the northern side. The main question as of now is whether or not it will end up too suppressed.

Some of the runs (i.e. the 12z Euro) actually seem to suggest a Miller B with a secondary low forming east of Florida while the primary low weakens across NE Gulf of Mexico. This is likely due to the suppression of the northern stream energy (one way to get a Miller B typically observed further to the north).

Might be something to look out for. This type of Miller B (if you can call it that at such low latitude) might actually be more favorable for the SE in this particular situation as it allows the system to move out ahead of the northern stream energy and if it were to partially phase or phase it may even slow down the northern stream energy, allowing for further strengthening and/or slowing of movement. And since we'd be on the backside of this set up were wouldn't have nearly as much to worry about in terms of a warm nose/wintry mix (would likely be rain or snow) like in traditional Miller B setups in our parts. 

GaWx: This could possibly explain at least part of the the blossoming of precipitation on the backside on Saturday.

Some of the runs (i.e. the 12z Euro) actually seem to suggest a Miller B with a secondary low forming east of Florida while the primary low weakens across NE Gulf of Mexico. This is likely due to the suppression of the northern stream energy (one way to get a Miller B typically observed further to the north).

Might be something to look out for. This type of Miller B (if you can call it that at such low latitude) might actually be more favorable for the SE in this particular situation as it allows the system to move out ahead of the northern stream energy and if it were to partially phase or phase it may even slow down the northern stream energy, allowing for further strengthening and/or slowing of movement. And since we'd be on the backside of this set up were wouldn't have nearly as much to worry about in terms of a warm nose/wintry mix (would likely be rain or snow) like in traditional Miller B setups in our parts.

GaWx: This could possibly explain at least part of the the blossoming of precipitation on the backside on Saturday.

Wasn't the March ice storm a Miller B in the same fashion with the primary transferring from the Gulf to the Atlantic?

Smoked. Thanks. Interesting.

There's an eerie similar look much like Feb 12th 2010 with that.

Except it was MUCH colder in '10   ;)    It's the ONLY time living here I knew it was going to snow(but you knew that already   :P ), it was just a matter of how much precip would actually fall. My favorite storm ever   :wub:

btw.....nice to see you stop by  :D    ^_^

This one is a delicate balance system- too positive tilt/less phasing, suppressed and everyone gets the shaft. Too phased/more neutral tilt then most get rain. We need the sweet spot in between- and if that happens I cannot really see a huge snow for anyone, maybe mostly 1-3", more in the mountains.

The 12z EPS Mean looks a lot better here! The mean is back closer to 2" again with a decent number of members showing decent hits.  It's only about 1" for RDU, though, and even less than that for CLT.  I am not sure if that is because of warm surface temperatures or what.

KATL's is around 1/3" with only a few members showing hits.  CAE's is basically 0" with just three members showing a T or dusting.  KAVL's is close to 3" with most members showing at least something.

I believe so, I have pretty vague memory of the setup tho. It is not a terribly uncommon set to my knowledge.

Gotcha.  I remember it not really blowing up until it got to the Carolinas.  I do not believe GA really saw much precip (maybe I'm remembering wrong, though).

Archived