Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Winter medium range model pbp I

GaWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a bummer...we get no qpf and colder, get qpf and warmer now.  I for one was in the crowd of "the 2m temps will be overdone if the 850's are THAT COLD and qpf was heavy enough"  well, I figured it was the harder thing to get the QPF up there.  Well, crap, now it is *SHOWING* qpf up there, but its also saying 850mb temps are MUCH warmer so its all a moot point...who cares at this point for heavy rain.  **IF** the doc is right, I could see some light snow over southern TN, the MTNS, and WNC.  Everywhere else...NADA!

Navgem for the win, wow!!!!

Doesn't the navgem suck for everyone but the NE? That track is horrible...I feel like we need a close off the coast bomb and get some snow on the backside as it moves up to VA. Anything else and this storm is toast (for the SE)

Doesn't the navgem suck for everyone but the NE? That track is horrible...I feel like we need a close off the coast bomb and get some snow on the backside as it moves up to VA. Anything else and this storm is toast (for the SE)

Looked like it was a big hit for the NC/TN mountains and had some front-end snow even here (and maybe some backside flakes for all).  Also looked like snow for N AL and maybe portions of GA, too, with the Superstorm '93-like track.

Looked like all-rain for Raleigh, Charlotte, etc., though.

The track was awful for C NC, though it was such a bomb it kind of worked out for some.

At least surface temps are just fine on the Euro.  850s just a hair warm for C NC, but still...  Amazing.

yeah temps will fluctuate with track. I'm fine with +1 850mb temps right now. Precip can easily cool the column...not a bad run.

Things are looking pretty decent for us in Western NC at least. ECMWF clown got 3-5 inches between Franklin and Asheville with more higher up in mountains. This could be a nice snow chase if ECMWF is to be believed.

I agree, I'm quite optimistic here in Boone right now with slightly below freezing 850's and 31/32 2m temps this could very well be a paste bomb in the High Country of NC and wouldn't be surprised to see the 2m temps trend slightly colder. Call me crazy but I really see this thing having more northern stream interaction given how much it has already trended NW

I'm pretty sure that Euro track would work out just fine for KHKY. The 850s were at 0 C. I can work with 35 F ground temps. Still several days to go to watch the trends.

I have to agree with you sir. Even though I am about hour sw of you. Seems that the placement shown at the 850 and 700 level would have the possibility level higher!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's usually a good track for this area.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

I'm pretty sure that Euro track would work out just fine for KHKY.  The 850s were at 0 C.  I can work with 35 F ground temps.  Still several days to go to watch the trends.

Like me, you're at 33-verbatim, during the heart of the precip, so 2ms would be perfectly fine.  Realistically, you'd probably be 31-32 if it were snow, IMO. Of course, in reality we may both be raining if mid-levels are as shown (maybe not HKY as much).

I'm pretty sure that Euro track would work out just fine for KHKY.  The 850s were at 0 C.  I can work with 35 F ground temps.  Still several days to go to watch the trends.

I have to agree with you sir. Even though I am about hour sw of you. Seems that the placement shown at the 850 and 700 level would have the possibility level higher!

Sent from my iPhone

I agree with both of my fellow foothills/western piedmont peeps, that track is about perfect... the 850's and 2ms are sketchy but hopefully with a stronger system we can all get our first snow of the season.

I agree, I'm quite optimistic here in Boone right now with slightly below freezing 850's and 31/32 2m temps this could very well be a paste bomb in the High Country of NC and wouldn't be surprised to see the 2m temps trend slightly colder. Call me crazy but I really see this thing having more northern stream interaction given how much it has already trended NW

I really think we're sitting pretty right now at least enough for a chase to higher elevations. Hopefully UNCA can finally get something enough to launch a balloon (so I can get paid lol).

Euro was the perfect scenario we've been looking for of stream phasing in the southern plains with positive tilt trough axis in Texas moving to neutral tilt over the SE.  Sfc low and 850 low tracks are textbook for snow in central NC - sfc low just off the SE coast to Hatteras and 850 low running just inland of the coast .  Two problems - 1) the initial air mass just isn't cold, and 2) during the day 1 to day 3 timeframe, the models have backed off on how far the northern stream is pressing south, so we aren't getting as much of a cold push there.

OMG, the 12z JMA is a shellacking for the NW half of NC and VA.

I don't know that word, but I'm assuming it's good because that's a lot of QPF for North Carolina per Tropical Tidbits. Track look little too far east for us in WNC, but it's something. Correct me if I'm wrong?

Like me, you're at 33-verbatim, during the heart of the precip, so 2ms would be perfectly fine.  Realistically, you'd probably be 31-32 if it were snow, IMO. Of course, in reality we may both be raining if mid-levels are as shown (maybe not HKY as much).

I agree with both of my fellow foothills/western piedmont peeps, that track is about perfect... the 850's and 2ms are sketchy but hopefully with a stronger system we can all get our first snow of the season.

Yes, sir, gentlemen!  This could be the storm for us...or, it may not be.  It's still too far out in time.  If the LP were to travel up I-95, that might be perfect for the mountains just to our east, but I would feel more comfortable if the path were east of I-95 somewhat.  We currently have the European-Canadian Navy on our side.  What could go wrong?  ;)

Archived