northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Winter medium range model pbp I

GaWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I was only 6 when 1987 happened. Can people remind me what the fxcast was that day? I want to say it was just a chance of mixed rn/sn

I know you're not asking about Atlanta. However, the reason I'm responding is that Lookout's favorite, Glenn Burns, actually somehow successfully predicted snow for the major ATL snowstorm of Jan. 1987 five days in advance. I still remember this clearly. Back then, he did seem to love snow fwiw.

Looking at 2m maps from the Euro, it does something really weird. It shoots the foothills up close to 50 while it keeps a cold pocket to the SE of Charlotte. Something fishy is going on there, so it'll be interesting to see what happens next run.

Yep, it's clear that the models haven't worked out the thermal profiles yet. All I am interested in right now is the track of the surface low and the 850 low. Looks like a perfect track. Past events have lead us to believe that this would yield a substantial snowstorm if we can get the precip in here. IMBY, 850's at or below freezing with a northeast wind and 0.5 qpf is most likely going to result in some accumulating snow. How much is the question. I will take the Euro's track any day of the week and worry about the column profiles later.

Looking at 2m maps from the Euro, it does something really weird. It shoots the foothills up close to 50 while it keeps a cold pocket to the SE of Charlotte. Something fishy is going on there, so it'll be interesting to see what happens next run.

Looks like the Euro has some clearing going on by Saturday Afternoon over the foothills. It also has northwest winds which would imply downsloping which I think that model overdoes which is why it does so badly with arctic airmasses coming over the mountains.

Yep, it's clear that the models haven't worked out the thermal profiles yet. All I am interested in right now is the track of the surface low and the 850 low. Looks like a perfect track. Past events have lead us to believe that this would yield a substantial snowstorm if we can get the precip in here. IMBY, 850's at or below freezing with a northeast wind and 0.5 qpf is most likely going to result in some accumulating snow. How much is the question. I will take the Euro's track any day of the week and worry about the column profiles later.

I'll second THAT! What concerns me most, i don't like being in the sweetspot...if you will, at this timeframe. Would like to see things down east look better toward RAE, then tick more nw as we get closer. I know, I know..wishcasting. But its served us right in years past. Guess we'll have to see what the "FAT LADY" sings tonight!

NAVGEM is still holding for some type of precipitation on Friday and Saturday with a geographically small cold blast to go with it. How accurate is the NAVGEM usually?

I would rather trust Euro, GPS, UK model, Canadian, and NAM before NAVGEM...

However, it's hard to beat consistency from NAVGEM and the fact rest of models shifted somewhat toward it. It's weird from that model, but trend might be in someone's favor this time around.

Ok, I was only 6 when 1987 happened. Can people remind me what the fxcast was that day? I want to say it was just a chance of mixed rn/sn

For Charlotte, the NWS forecast was rain with the possibility of sleet mixed in (Jan 22, 1987 storm).  6-9 inches of snow later, it was the biggest bust on the plus side that I've experienced.  I can't remember what my wife asks me to pick up at the grocery store, but I can remember weird stuff like that.  I remember Gaston county being in a winter storm warning while Charlotte was not, so they basically missed the forecast by one county over.

Here in WS, NWS forecast was 3-6.  Bastardi went out on a limb and forecasted what he thought which was 9-10, which is really risky.  We ended up 12+, so they both busted but Bastardi was much closer to reality.  Great storm, followed in 4 days by another 3-6.  Will never forget 86-87.

Hey everyone! It's been a long time, but I have been really busy with work (moving from web design to outside sales), spending time with the girlfriend, and well, with work.

Anyways, the pattern is finally looking the best it has looked in a long time. I was actually shocked when the 12z models trended so far westward with this system Friday and Saturday. Temperatures will be a problem for many areas south of I-85 regardless of the storm track, but it will still need to be monitored moving forward. The 0z and 12z tomorrow will be very important in helping to determine the eventual track of the storm. I am watching this system closely for my area and points northward. This is a classic system for the foothills and points northward to receive a big snow (ie. Dec 2009). Not saying this will happen, and more than likely it will not, but I am watching the models to see what happens.

Another upper level disturbance brings the chance of snow early next week, but for a larger portion of the southeast. I hate even mentioning it since it would be driven by an upper level low (we all know they are nearly impossible to track 48 hours out, much less 7+ days); however, it is a chance.

I believe we are setting up for some good chances of snow through the first week of February. The PNA remains favorable for the next 5-10 days, and the AO is going to remain negative to neutral. The NAO is positive, but only slightly. As long as the west coast ridge holds (through at least the mid part of next week), we will continue to have chances for wintry weather in the southeast United States.

In the GSP,  Anderson, and Gaffney area almost all forecasts called for rain with maybe a little snow mixed in. Snow was forecast basically NW of a line from Walhalla in SC to around Shelby NC. Only Charlie Gertz from WYFF correctly forecast the snow to cover the entire upstate area. We only got around 6 inches here though, because of a dry slot. Areas from the GSP metro up towards Hickory got much more.

Hey guys haven't posted in forever! I hope everyone is doing well. Looking at 0z 42hr frame 5h setup, looking like the southern vort is stronger this run with the northern vort sliding down through Wyoming trying to get close to interacting with one another. Let's see where this one goes folks.

Archived