Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Winter medium range model pbp I

GaWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL, Pack, you can always count on the control run to bring the goods.

Looks like the EPS Mean has ticked up to over 2" now with about half of the members showing hits (I'm guessing some are still OTS and there are probably some really amped members that are merely rain). Of the hits, I'd say a third are major like the control, a third are moderate, and a third are light.

RDU and CLT's means are around 1.2".

Not a bad look at this point, though there's still a long way to go. Wouldn't be surprised if we rain while DC HECSs.

Will see, nothing is off the table, I still think points NW of 85/40 have the best shot.   

1/22/87 redux...painfull, but I would chase the 15 miles if needed. 

accum.19870123.gif

Just got done looking at the Euro Ensemble Data and all the members, I'll throw some numbers out for Western North Carolina since that is the one area in the Upper Southeast that could potentially cash in with this Friday event...IF, IF, IF the Euro were to verify...

Franklin has measurable snow on all 50 ensemble members and a mean avg of just over 4 inches...a good number of members showing 3-4 inches and about a half-dozen of those showing what I would consider a major storm (9 inches+)

Asheville has all but 1 member showing snow, a mean avg of about 3.5 inches and like Franklin a half dozen or so bigger events...

The foothills (Rutherfordton, Morganton-Lenoir, Hickory) have 25/50 members showing with a mean in the 2-2.5 inch range...

Charlotte has 21/50 members with an avg of just over 1 inch...

Lookout,

The Euro has had a warm bias of several degrees at 2m in steady precip. situations like this for years. We've discussed this including last Feb. The new GFS also appears to have this same bias. Also, the 850's were below 0C down to/near MCN on many runs. They were cooling substantially with the precip. due to very dry air at 850 mb. So, when these things were taken into account, I maintain that the consensus was, indeed, cold enough. With heavy enough precip. and 850's several degreees below 0C, why wouldn't that be enough to get SN to the ground? It wouldn't even need to go anywhere close to isothermal to do that if 850's are near, say, 27-28. 34 at the sfc could allow for sticking on grass if heavy/steady enough. However, with 0C 850's now so much further north, it is a totally different story imo.

It does have a warm bias but most of the time when it blows it,  it's because it mishandles/under estimates  evaporational cooling. In this case though, there isn't any dry air to speak of at all...at least based on the nam/gfs with dewpoints only in the 30s. As far as the 850mb temps go, it really doesn't matter since temps below 850mb, especially from 925mb and down, are very warm, on the order of 3 to 5c and not very dry as well so evaporational cooling is not going to be much of a factor either with wetbulb zero heights around 925mb at best.  So even under the best case scenerio..where there is enough precip to fully saturate the low levels, freezing levels are going to be a couple of thousand feet up while temps in the lowest 1500 feet are well above freezing

Now mind you, I'm basing this off of soundings of the nam/gfs. The euro could be a bit colder or drier but I doubt there is that much difference because it would have to be a HUGE difference. Even the more wound up scenario of the euro, there just isn't much cold air near the surface anywhere close by so CAA would be marginal at best. And there doesn't appear to be much chance for dynamical cooling to play a major role in most places. But even if we were dealing with strong dynamics and tons of precip, which we aren't anyway, it would still probably not be enough.

Bottom line is, the low levels are just too warm and I don't see any scenerio where that won't be the case outside the mountains, except maybe the northern most foothills of nc or tn..but of course total precip there is going to be light anyway.

It does have a warm bias but most of the time when it blows it,  it's because it mishandles/under estimates  evaporational cooling. In this case though, there isn't any dry air to speak of at all...at least based on the nam/gfs with dewpoints only in the 30s. As far as the 850mb temps go, it really doesn't matter since temps below 850mb, especially from 925mb and down, are very warm, on the order of 3 to 5c and not very dry as well so evaporational cooling is not going to be much of a factor either with wetbulb zero heights around 925mb at best.  So even under the best case scenerio..where there is enough precip to fully saturate the low levels, freezing levels are going to be a couple of thousand feet up while temps in the lowest 1500 feet are well above freezing

Now mind you, I'm basing this off of soundings of the nam/gfs. The euro could be a bit colder or drier but I doubt there is that much difference because it would have to be a HUGE difference. Even the more wound up scenario of the euro, there just isn't much cold air near the surface anywhere close by so CAA would be marginal at best. And there doesn't appear to be much chance for dynamical cooling to play a major role in most places. But even if we were dealing with strong dynamics and tons of precip, which we aren't anyway, it would still probably not be enough.

Bottom line is, the low levels are just too warm and I don't see any scenerio where that won't be the case outside the mountains, except maybe the northern most foothills of nc or tn..but of course total precip there is going to be light anyway.

I agree here.  While there may be disagreement among the models about where and how much precip falls, they all agree on one thing. There is not enough cold air around to get a significant SE snowstorm. 

Lol at folks giving up on a storm that is 90 + hours out. Anything can happen in that time frame. The s/w are not even being properly sampled. They have yet to enter the CONUS. Anyone not believing in snow for N. GA right now is miserable and must hate snow.

Marietta

To whom are you addressing this? Also, what does love or hate of snow have to do with your comments?

I agree with you fully.  As modeled, NOTHING really shows any snow outside of maybe SE and E TN and WNC *maybe CNC*  everywhere else is just too warm..Thats what the models show for sure.  Put some human knowledge and exp and touch into it, tells me the EURO is likely wrong somewhere.  Too warm? maybe or the track is wrong or something.  My gut tells me the euro is off a bit on temps given the look and the pretty descent dynamics.  

If 850's were to cool to 27 F with significant and steady precip., you don't think that colder air would be brought down to the sfc somewhat regardless of sfc td? What would prevent the sfc from cooling down to, say, 32-34?

Marietta

To whom are you addressing this? Also, what does love or hate of snow have to do with your comments?

Agreed...I love snow, but I think I am just being a realist.  The models give NO indication for it.  YES it can change, and YES you have to add the human touch and element for sure.  I still think the EURO is to warm given that look..Still don't know if it will matter. 

The euro is pretty classic aloft for the NC mountains/foothills/NW piedmont. the timing of the phase is pretty consistent will big dogs of the past. the read out of the soundings at HKY is close an isothermal layer from the sfc up, meaning it's borderline but would likely be enough. This is given the precip' charts being off, which they look like they would be to me. That said, this is just one run and it's too early to buy it.

Archived