• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Winter medium range model pbp I

GaWx

Looks like we're good at the 850 and 925 layer. If we're above freezing, it would have to be 950 or above.

Looking at temp profile for my area KMRN, just prior to the event (hour 120, 0z Friday), there is an odd-looking warm nose right around 950 mb which does not make a lot of sense... The 3.4 showing up at 950 mb when the layers around it are within a degree of making it isothermal?

966   476   0.6  -1.7  85  2.3  -0.3 
  2  950   610   3.4  -2.2  67  5.6   1.1 
  3  900  1047   0.8  -4.6  67  5.5  -1.3 
  4  850  1504  -2.1  -7.5 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the surface temps on the GFS is like watching the NFL. It takes a special replay analyst to explain why things are happening the way they are.

I still would like an explaination as to why the 950mb temps (3.1) is sandwiched in between a boundary layer that is at freezing?

actually this doesn't kick out the energy...the Northern branch is building down.  This WONT get it done *qpf wise* like the GFS did, but MUCH better than the 12z run so far.  

Chris, note the very nice and necessary moist WSW flow! A beautiful thing to see. A great trend from 12Z Doc! And wow on the 0Z GFS. Those 12z GEFS members maybe were trying to tell us something after all...i.e., don't give up so early.

Doc definitely a much better run, regardless. This is like Thursday night all over again between the 0Z GFS and this improved Doc.

Def. a better look.  850's are colder, but good lawd...the 2m temps are AWFUL!!!  Light qpf for my way, virtually nada north of me, but obviously much better than 12z run...I am honestly worried about the 2m temps.  EURO would be colder at 2m if it had more heavier QPF tho...

Chris, note the very nice and necessary moist WSW flow! A beautiful thing to see. A great trend from 12Z Doc! And wow on the 0Z GFS. Those 12z GEFS members maybe were trying to tell us something after all...i.e., don't give up so early.

agreed for sure.  Def. not time to give up, but the models were getting pathetic before..haha... DOC would be colder at 2m if there was more qpf. 

Def. a better look.  850's are colder, but good lawd...the 2m temps are AWFUL!!!  Light qpf for my way, virtually nada north of me, but obviously much better than 12z run...I am honestly worried about the 2m temps.  EURO would be colder at 2m if it had more heavier QPF tho...

I recommend ignoring the Euro and GFS 2M temperatures if steady and sig. precip. is shown. If 850's are below 0C with this precip., it will be several degrees colder than these models show. Also, remember that heavy enough SN would likely stick to at least much of the grass even with 33-35.

I recommend ignoring the Euro and GFS 2M temperatures if steady and sig. precip. is shown. If 850's are below 0C with this precip., it will be several degrees colder than these models show. Also, remember that heavy enough SN would likely stick to at least much of the grass even with 33-35.

I agree FULLY!!  GFS is very close around here yes MCN to some snow.  I know verbatim its a big NO, but it wouldn't take much.

Archived