CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Winter medium range model pbp I

GaWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The models are now showing cold in the east with a trough in the west inside day 10. Look at the 6z ENS...well inside 240. As well as the EPS mean. While I agree we have seen some fantasy patterns in the LR that haven't worked out, it still worked out in the sense that it built a ridge and dropped a trough in the east and brought us deep cold, just no snow. Who cares? The pattern was still there...we were in a -AO/-NAO/-EPO pattern I believe, sometimes patterns just don't produce.

The ensemble mean actually looks good inside Day 10 for snow (obviously we're tracking this 1/24ish system) but I showed 264 just to show how whacky the 12z OP is, dropping a ridge in the east like that when it has no merit. It's basically just another ensemble member you're staring at.

I was trying to look at the ensembles on tropical tidbits, but it was erroring out.  I hear you though. :)

as Burger said...the first piece out, next fri..our "storm" is waaaay to warm for EVERYONE...yes its about to slowly move out, but there is nada cold anywhere.  Yet again....another solution from the euro.  This makes 6 different looks from the drunk doc from the last 6 runs.  hmmmm

as Burger said...the first piece out, next fri..our "storm" is waaaay to warm for EVERYONE...yes its about to slowly move out, but there is nada cold anywhere.  Yet again....another solution from the euro.  This makes 6 different looks from the drunk doc from the last 6 runs.  hmmmm

seems that is the only stable thing showing on multiple models at this point.  At least the day 10+ ensembles continue to advertise a much better pattern.

The models might be all over the place with the track, but one thing they seem to be in agreement on (the operational runs) is that there is no cold, or at the very least, marginal cold. We either need a bombing low that produces *gasp* dynamic cooling and also stays south or a stronger high pressure with a tap into a colder source region. Long odds on this one, friends.

The models might be all over the place with the track, but one thing they seem to be in agreement on (the operational runs) is that there is no cold, or at the very least, marginal cold. We either need a bombing low that produces *gasp* dynamic cooling and also stays south or a stronger high pressure with a tap into a colder source region. Long odds on this one, friends.

+EPO on the Op GFS/Euro. That was the one thing that was certain, LOL. Don't worry someone will post an ENS run showing something different.

We just need more northern stream interaction

As much as the Op models have been flipping and flopping on this system, I suggest not even bothering to take them seriously at all for at least several more days. The ensemble means have been more steady, and have at least kept some small-medium level of threat of snow somewhere in the SE. So getting excited then depressed based on any one Op run at this point is a waste of time. Watching with minor interest is what I am doing right now.

As much as the Op models have been flipping and flopping on this system, I suggest not even bothering to take them seriously at all for at least several more days. The ensemble means have been more steady, and have at least kept some small-medium level of threat of snow somewhere in the SE. So getting excited then depressed based on any one Op run at this point is a waste of time. Watching with minor interest is what I am doing right now.

As usual good post! Right now it's just fun to look at. Given the long lead time anything is possible really. 

The 12Z Euro has less cold air to the north of the 1/23 low. Hence, it gives a warmer solution out ahead of it. Definitely not what you want to see if you're in a place like ATL, AHN, MCN, BHM, etc. Hopefully, this reverses on future runs.

he pops in with greatness..LOL  perfect post.

100% Agree. Pretty much what I was saying...this needs to be posted like the sign saying "Employees must wash their hands after each visit to the restroom before returning to work" except posted above the SE Forum. No sense in canceling a storm, pattern, SE ridge, hurricane or anything before you see the ensembles.

Honestly the biggest thing I wanted to see from the OP and ENS is the time frame start getting closer and closer with this potential threat.  Ie, I won't want to see it always in the D8-10 timeframe...so, IMHO its at least a good sign the time is getting shorter and shorter.  We are about D6-7 for the most part now.  

This probably belongs in banter but it just shows how boring this winter has been that we're focusing on a storm 7 days out. I don't ever remember any storm being modeled correctly 7 days out with consistency. Just re read the Christmas storm threads from 2010 and it will about make your head hurt. It wasn't until about 3 days out that everything came together. So plenty of time for a big one, a small one and nothing. 

Archived