Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter medium range model pbp I

GaWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hows 192 look dog

Like a 989 MB rainstorm in the Atlantic ocean. 

2M Temps are pretty warm for this event though. I'm not in your region so I don't know the biases but even the crappy Euro snow algorithm doesn't produce much snow except for in the mountains and in NC and it's generally under 2-4" in most places.

I was gonna say, EURO says this is a rain storm for just about everyone, because of its BS 2m temps showing..I find it VERY hard to have that warm of a look with a cold 850 layer and some fairly low thickness.  I know its not going to be super cold, but more than likely a lot of that will be snow.  We shall see, its just 1 run, and hell...its the 5th different look we have seen from the DOC over the last 5 runs...it did trend toward the GFS tonight, I will say that.  

Like a 989 MB rainstorm in the Atlantic ocean.

2M Temps are pretty warm for this event though. I'm not in your region so I don't know the biases but even the crappy Euro snow algorithm doesn't produce much snow except for in the mountains and in NC and it's generally under 2-4" in most places.

There's no way it's raining here with sub-540 thicknesses and 850s of -5C, IMO. Maybe I'm a weenie, but that seems borderline impossible in our climo (this isn't Seattle).

I think a southern slider is the most likely solution at the end of the day. Hopefully we can get enough energy that it really dumps on us and for selfish reasons I hope it doesn't hit us till late Friday/Saturday. 

I would say the southern slider is the best option right now as well.  Plenty of time with this one tho.  Any word from the doc ENS?

Not getting the warm fuzzies about this potential anymore, I hate when cut offs get left behind, been happening all winter and nobody in the east has ended up getting snow. On the Euro the H5 vort tracks right down I-40, not sure why the SLP is that far SE, it should be a MA winter storm based on that.  Blah....

Not getting the warm fuzzies about this potential anymore, I hate when cut offs get left behind, been happening all winter and nobody in the east has ended up getting snow. On the Euro the H5 vort tracks right down I-40, not sure why the SLP is that far SE, it should be a MA winter storm based on that.  Blah....

Pack it looks like the positive tilt in the southern plains keeps the sfc low from ramping up and cutting.  The 18z and 00z GFS are what we need to see...some northern/southern stream phasing to get a storm with precip, but also, positive tilt as it moves through the southern plains to keep the surface low to the southeast and temps in check.

Last 3 runs of the GFS Ens had 5-6 members out of 12 showing a hit in the southeast.

A couple of low locations of note on the EPS at 186:

996 just N of MHX

Cluster of lows just around HAT. One is west over the sounds at 1002MB. One is 981MB(!) and just about 50 miles east of the island. The furthest

east option is about 90-100 miles east at 1005.

1003MB 150 miles SE of ILM

By far the biggest cluster of lows is on the coast. There's one 991MB low over Greenwood, SC.

Archived